Wendy suspension vs. 'normal' springing.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

10KPete

Re: Wendy suspension vs. 'normal' springing.

Post by 10KPete »

I do like the pivoted front axle. Hadn't seen it until recently....Marie Estelle???....

I'm not so much interested in ride softness, as someone said I'm not riding the loco! But I do want to make sure of track holding ability. Lots to consider here!

Yeah, Bill, the 'ol clock is a tickin'.

Pete
Just tryin'
darjeeling

Post by darjeeling »

One of the big problems associated with 0-4-0 designed engines is how well balanced the engine weight is over all driving wheels. Some model designs can be suspect, however all my engines have been scaled down from full sized versions and in all cases give a reasonable balanced axle loading.The addition of modified slide block bearings on large scale engines, as per Mike's sataement, gives a new profile of limited independent suspension.With only small axle box movements of up to about 2mm seem to not make any difference to the quality of the exhaust beat under load with Havkworth or Marshall gear. In fact the Tamar can run quite happily with a cup of coffee on the cab roof of this 4" scale engine.
Marshall valve gear came about from being used on Marshall traction engines in the first instance, not steam locomotives,

John Heald New Zealand
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

don't worry about it staying on the track.

the 3 point suspension has been around for a LONG time...

I have a little Tom Thumb that is reverse...front axle is locked, rear axle is on VERY STIFF springs...as in if I lean on it REALLY HARD I can maybe feel that they move 1/16".

Front axle must be locked because it is a gear drive from the top down and cannot have the gear mesh changing ...ever.

This is a 3/4" loco that weighs about 50# wet and ready to run...never had a tracking problem on any of the rough 3/4" tracks it has run on. The only time it has derailed is when I fell off the riding car (yes..pictures) and when it runs over logs (twigs...) on the track.

Don't fret...get on with it and have fun.

want to see pictures of my Model T and Henry's 3 point suspension?

B
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
sabin

Post by sabin »

In reference to the neoprene "suspension" . I could not get hackworth valve gear timed, ch CUF ca CUF until I discovered that the neoprene was greatly compressed allowing a lot of journal box travel. The MEG was built in 1991 and I don't know how many owners it had before me or how many miles it had on it. I replaced the neoprene and it runs very well now. As Mike said, you can "hook it up" and it runs fine. Time will tell how long the rubber will last. Next time I will rebuild with springs, but at 71 years of age.............

Jim
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Bill Shields wrote:
want to see pictures of my Model T and Henry's 3 point suspension?

B
Used to have a 1919 T Touring! Great automobile. Simple as a plug a really quite reliable.

I'd just never seen the 3 point on a loco before. But then again I'd not spent much time looking under locos either!! :shock:

Pete
Just tryin'
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Jim, thanks for the info on the rubber. I know it can't last forever and you're the second or third guy to say the rubber will be replaced by steel springs.... So my loco will have steel, not rubber! Make perfect sense and I've never been in love with perishable vehicle parts anyway.

Pete
Just tryin'
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Pete:
I've been digging around here but haven't found it yet.... did you start a Wendy build?
Scotty
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Scotty, I haven't started a real build yet. Doing a lot of designing and head scratchin' plus working on clearing out the shop. Lots of 'junk' to clear out. Projects and 'other' hobbies need to go or be minimized, etc....

Thanks for checking in!

Pete
Just tryin'
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

My 7-1/2" gauge Narrow Gauge Porter by Don Young has a no springs at all. The rear axle is solid to the frame, the front pivots on a crosswise rocker beam; 3 points determine a plane. Many were built this way.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

That's sorta what I've been thinking Kimball. As I think about the way these small four wheelers run and track I think that what you've said makes more sense than trying to fabricate a suspension system.

Pete
Just tryin'
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The 3.5" gauge Raritan 2-4-0 is "equalized" this way. Makes sense for simplicity of manufacture, maintenance, and function.
~RN
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I've visited around a bit, most that I spoke to said, "stick with the way it was designed" . Having heard of no real problems with it.... why not?