Early American pass car drawings wanted..

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Re: Early American pass car drawings wanted..

Post by Glenn Brooks »

You can always freelance your design, based on 1880's style cars. Your basic dimensions for 71/2" ga equipment will likely come out to be around 5' x 16" x 16". Any wider with a small car and you run the risk of having them be unstable and tipping over easily.

Also I had a four car consist with an old 4-4-2 Atlantic . The consist included two passenger style cars, a combo car (passenger/luggage combination), and a mail car. Loved the combination of styles, as it was more appropriate to transcontinental train movement in the early west.

Here's a couple of photos of the combo car and mail car designs on display at the Pennsyvania RR Museum outside of Lancaster. Shows the car styles.
Combo car
Combo car
image.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Attachments
Baggage car - mail cars also had a center freight door and one or more small windows in the mail room area.
Baggage car - mail cars also had a center freight door and one or more small windows in the mail room area.
image.jpg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

the freelance option is a good one,
a little later in years but these are my "commuter" cars
Train4_sm.jpg
Attachments
Train3_sm.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Chris,
I have sent you a PM but just in case, here is a link to a builders site that has old time cars, Really nice!! I have seen them.
chooch
http://jsrailcar.com/railcars.htm
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

The Nevada State RR Museum has an about 1867 vintage Kimble coach fully restored from the Virginia & Truckee RR. A model of it would be about the right length that you are shooting for. Another thought would be the very short Sierra RRs Angles' branch coach and combine. These were very short.
Cary
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here are a few more photos showing car detail of 1890 consist from the Pen RR- on display at the Pen State RRMuseum...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....