SRRL #23 First Run in Maryland

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SZuiderveen

Re: SRRL #23 First Run in Maryland

Post by SZuiderveen »

I think you will have to go to to Reeves or E. & J. Winter to get Lucky 7 drawings. I don't think anyone in the U. S. maintained the publication rights after Power Model went away.

Steve Z.
seadevil10

Post by seadevil10 »

Could you ask your friend if he would be able to make copies of the drawings he used?
seadevil10

Post by seadevil10 »

Or if you are able too, if you are able to put us in contact that would be very helpful.
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

John built the running gear to Roll Model drawings. The remainder was done from the prototype drawings in Two Foot Cyclopedia by William Jensen, Jr. The tender is mostly "nuts on." The loco is selectively compressed shorter to fit the running gear, but has a larger diameter boiler than RMI and a scale cab. I'll have some construction photos to post soon.

Steve
seadevil10

Post by seadevil10 »

Man it'll be a chore getting a hold of the cyclopedia, i would like to see the pictures though its a lovely engine.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

seadevil10 wrote:Thank you Harlock for the quick response. I hope you are able to fine out about the drawings. So the castings and parts for the 3.5in scale will be up by years end maybe?
Yes definitely.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Inspiration from the wall in John' s office
image.jpeg
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Not a chore at all to get the cyclopedia for #23, scroll down about half way:

http://www.maine2footquarterly.com/books.htm
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

OK, by request, here is a short summary of the build of the #23 written by John Tokar, plus a selection of build photos. If the Admins feel this should go in the Build Log, please move, but as of now, I guess it would be a built log!
John Tokar wrote:
A Brief Summary

This locomotive is 3 ¾” scale and weighs about 2000 pounds (a fork lift comes in handy!). The original frames and casting were manufactured by RMI and purchased in 2007 through a private owner via Discover Live Steam. The frames started out as a 2-6-0 but I decided to add an extension (as they did in full size practice!) and make it a 2-6-2. It employs RMI running gear and brakes as well.
Frame on Mill.jpg
This locomotive was not intended to be an exact, scaled down reproduction but is based on SRRL Baldwin #23. I used the Baldwin Locomotive Works erection drawings (public domain) for SRRL #23 to fabricate my engine with the intent to make it more prototypical and easy to operate.
DSCN2642.JPG
The boiler (many thanks to Marty Knox!) is coal fired and has an OD of 12.750, which allows for a 14" smoke box (front castings from Steve Alley) and is fully jacketed. It has engine and tender air brakes powered by a steam-driven air compressor (castings from Mike Veneisa and machine work by Steve Alley). It has a steam-driven dynamo (6 VDC at 4 amps) for engine and tender lights.
DSCN4109.JPG
The backhead is my own design; the cab was purchased and is a rare find that replicates the full size engine perfectly! I owe a debt of gratitude to Andy Pullen for his excellent machining skills on the engine’s steam chest, wheels and other castings.
DSCN2964.JPG
The tender is completely scratch-built by me and is constructed from 11 gauge HRS. It is based on Baldwin’s #23 tender, including the brake gear. The water tank is in the rear. It is sealed with Rhino bed liner and holds about 25 gallons. The side legs contain electronics for a series/parallel 6 and 12 volt DC electric system that has controls in a flip-up door in the right leg. It supplies power to a boiler feed water pump, a backup air compressor and later, a back-up vacuum pump for the train brakes.
DSCN4016.JPG
The trucks are from Ken Schroeder and are beautiful reproductions of the ones used on #23!

Most importantly, I owe a world of thanks to Steve Zuiderveen for his support, consulting/inspiration and his time spent with me working on this project!

Additional construction photos can be viewed on my company website http://www.vintagerestorationsltd.com under large scale locomotives.
A more direct link: http://www.vintagerestorationsltd.com/trains.html
(But you oughta look at all of the cool cars from the home page, too!)

Regards,

Steve
Last edited by SZuiderveen on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

And here are a few more photos from John:
DSCN2868.JPG
DSCN2869.JPG
A "semi-mock-up"
A "semi-mock-up"
DSCN3644S.jpg
Locomotive 5S.jpg

Regards,

Steve
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Last set for now:
Locomotive 4S.jpg
DSCN4136.JPG
No vinyls were harmed in the lettering of #23!
No vinyls were harmed in the lettering of #23!
DSCN4197.JPG
Regards,

Steve
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Sandiapaul wrote:Not a chore at all to get the cyclopedia for #23, scroll down about half way:

http://www.maine2footquarterly.com/books.htm
I had an original copy of the Jensen book, which John used extensively. When M2FQ came out with their copy, John bought one. An exceedingly poor reproduction job of a Jensen original!

Regards,

Steve