SRRL #23 First Run in Maryland

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

seadevil10

Re: SRRL #23 First Run in Maryland

Post by seadevil10 »

Wow those photos and build log are amazing I must have read it seven times by now. Every time I look I get more questions but since I wont be building an engine soon Ill just focus on gathering research materials and castings.

SZuiderveen, should I not get the M2FQ book its cheaper than the 75 for the jensen but if it is bad enough to warrant getting the jensen I will look into picking that one up.

Since this would be my first build I would like to know how I should approach this or at least how to start.

Thanks,

James
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Be careful if you buy the original. It is supposed to include the large scale erection drawing you see a copy of in the one photo I posted.

John's Xerox shop copies he made from my version are twice as sharp as the M2FQ reprint, which must have been scanned at about 8 dpi!

Steve
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

seadevil10 wrote:Thank you Harlock for the quick response. I hope you are able to fine out about the drawings. So the castings and parts for the 3.5in scale will be up by years end maybe?
All;

I was mistaken. Village Press does not have the drawings. Don Young retained the rights and licensed them to AJ Reeves in the UK. The drawings are available here at AJ Reeves:

http://www.ajreeves.com/maxi-lucky-7.html

Last night I got all the part #s for the castings imported to the Allen Models site database and I now have to process and match the casting photos with the parts, and then organize into sections. Progress continues.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

I have one full original set of the Maxi Lucky 7.

They are true Blueprints, meaning they have blue print, purchased from Reeves.

No tax, No shipping, No waiting. I'd also trade for them, I'm a narrow gauger.
Last edited by Loco112 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

I'd be interested in a copy of the high def large version of the erecting drawings for SRRL #23 or even better #24. Preferably with section drawings as well. I do have the relevant Live Steam issue but would prefer wall size. Who could I purchase this from?

Mountaineer.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

And forgot to mention, the engine that started this thread is gorgeous!

Mountaineer.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

I have no idea about what Steve Z mentioned...I have an original copy of the drawings(Thanks John H!) But I actually do have the CD...I'd recommend it if you are considering building this engine. I was severely cautioned by a member here to be careful about the drawings as supposedly there are errors in the copying from the originals. I can't speak to that at all, it is a nice set of locomotive drawings that one could use as a starting point to build this engine..

One of fav all time locos...best of luck to those who want to build it!
RICHK

Post by RICHK »

Please check out my website plan-ahead -designs,com
RICHK

Post by RICHK »

Contact RICHK

SANDY RIVER AND RANGELEY LAKES NUMBER 23

From the nice photos of the locomotive I can see that John Tokar came up with a design for a headlight. Perhaps he would be willing to share this with me.
Also I wonder what he might have done for a brake system on the loco.
Regards,
Rich

Postby RICHK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello all,
I am just now finishing my build of the number 23 in cyberspace.
I notice in my copy if Jensen's booklet that there is no design for the headlamp. This is a shame because the headlamp is such a prominent feature of the locomotive.
There is a detail for the headlamp step, alas no headlamp!
Also I see that there is no design for a braking system on the steam engine, even though I can see a hint of the brake cylinders on the photos in the Jensen book.

There is some detail for brakes on the tender, but it is not clear how these details on page 64 connect to the two trucks

Sooo any input on these items would be appreciated.
Brucea

Post by Brucea »

Very nice locomotive
John.can

Post by John.can »

Could anyone help point me in the direction of sourcing the dual indicator gauge in the cab? I’m assuming it’s a dual vacuum gauge indicator which is what the society I’m a part of uses for train brakes. I’m planning to build Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge #9. So currently I’m in the planning stages of everything so when I know where I’m setting home base, I can start building. Would be fun to have an American locomotive at my current home track in SW London considering all the locos out here are British narrow gauge.
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

John.can wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:22 pm Could anyone help point me in the direction of sourcing the dual indicator gauge in the cab? I’m assuming it’s a dual vacuum gauge indicator which is what the society I’m a part of uses for train brakes. I’m planning to build Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge #9. So currently I’m in the planning stages of everything so when I know where I’m setting home base, I can start building. Would be fun to have an American locomotive at my current home track in SW London considering all the locos out here are British narrow gauge.
Hello, John.

Earlier in this thread is a link to John Tokar's business, Vintage Restorations. Five days a week, Vintage restores British cars! On Saturdays and some Sundays we work on trains. The Dual Air Pressure Gauge is a product of Smiths, and came from a Leyland taxi!
geros1968.com/index.php?main_page=produ ... 5ica63iim0 is quite similar.

John relabeled the two hands "M RES" and "BK CYL" with printed vinyl under the gauge glass to reflect their actual usage. The vacuum gauge is the clock immediately beneath the air pressure gauge. It has a vintage brass housing, John made a new housing for the Smiths gauge.

Steve

(Sharp eyed Yankees will recognize that the steam pressure gauge is actually a US dual needle air brake gauge (full size) with the red hand removed and the extra Bourdon tube blanked off!)
Attachments
Smiths gauge
Smiths gauge
Detail of gauge cluster.  Apologies for extreme blown-up image
Detail of gauge cluster. Apologies for extreme blown-up image
DSCN4109a.JPG (20.41 KiB) Viewed 5404 times