D&RGW short caboose

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

John M

D&RGW short caboose

Post by John M »

Where can I find plans, dimensions or drawings for a D&RGW short caboose?
marshall5

Re: D&RGW short caboose

Post by marshall5 »

Westlake Publishing, probably in Narrow Gauge Annual, did an extended article on the D&RGW cabooses maybe 7-8 yrs ago. It had drawings and detail photos and is available for download from http://www.finescalerr.com/. I can't check which issue until I get back to Boise late next week but you can view the contents on their site. Failing that I'm sure if you call or e-mail Westlake they'll be able to tell you. A friend of mine built a 2 1/2" scale long caboose and said that the article was most useful, particularly for the interior.
Cheers,
Ray.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

The plans you are looking for are in the Narrow Gauge Short line Gazette Sep/Oct 2000.
I built it in 2 1/2" scale and am very happy with it. If I can find pictures I will send them along.

John B.
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Mallory Hope Ferrell's book: Silver San Juan had a 1/4" scale version.
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

FLSTEAM wrote:The plans you are looking for are in the Narrow Gauge Short line Gazette Sep/Oct 2000.
I built it in 2 1/2" scale and am very happy with it. If I can find pictures I will send them along.

John B.
This may be available as a back issue. Give them a call: 650-941-3823.

BTW, the entire NGSL collection is available on an indexed and searchable CD from 1964 to 2014. That's over 25,000 pages of narrow gauge stuff. You can download PDF plan sets in your chosen scale, too. I haven't seen the CD, but it sounds good.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

I also spotted this great source of inspirational pics from cumbrestoltec.org (PDF)

https://www.cumbrestoltec.org/images/st ... atalog.pdf
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

The Ridgway Railway Museum has restored the
caboose formerly in Ouray.

If you want to build it right and want to know what it looks like under the siding, scroll down
near the bottom of the page:

http://www.ridgwayrailroadmuseum.org/05 ... ation.html

There is absolutely no reason not to build the caboose in 2-1/2" scale as built in full size. The framing and structure built as designed will be as strong if not stronger than anything you could shortcut unless you made it from steel.

The satisfaction from doing it that way is incalculable. Take photos. Then you can show them off after everything is covered up!

Take care,
Brian
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

This may be helpful as well.

http://riograndesouthern.com/RGSTechPages/0400dwx.pdf
source: Rio Grande Southern Railroad Technical Information Page
http://riograndesouthern.com/RGSTechPages/rgstec13.htm

I look forward to watching you project unfold here!

Jim
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

John,

There is a great book called "A Century + Ten of D&RGW Narrow Gauge Freight Cars, 1871 to 1981" by Robert E. Sloan. Many drawings of the 17 ft. shorty caboose. This is a great reference book for builders of D&RGW rolling stock in any scale. Around $50. I just checked the bookstore at the Colorado Railroad Museum and it doesn't show it available' Also checked Amazon and also not available. But this place has it and I've dealt with them before. http://quickpicbooks.homestead.com/file ... nt_10.html

I can scan some pages out of my copy if you would like them. Let me know by PM.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
John M

Post by John M »

Thanks All!
Sorry, I don't know how to answer individual posts or what a PM is. Gary, would love some scanned pages of the short caboose -- thanks! Just to thank you all for your wonderful info as I checked out all the sites you mentioned. Ray, I did buy & download the 2006 Narrow Gauge Annual you recommended and it was chock-full of wonderful stuff, exactly what I need. I recall sitting at the lunch table in Mark's machine shop several months ago, meeting you & your wife and hearing about your amazing steam adventures (the real thing!) there on Isle of Man. Looking forward to seeing you again! BTW, Mark's track extension is terrific!
John
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

You're welcome John - glad to help. The friend I mentioned was Ed Rehberg (who was also at Mark's, with his Shay) and although his was a long caboose he might be able to offer advice on construction methods. Hope we meet again.
Cheers,
Ray.
John M

Post by John M »

Hi Ray,
Yes, Ed's was long caboose 0503 and he built it from I believe a good quality HOn3 kit, a technique he recommends for detail, dimensions, etc. Thanks for your help -- the Narrow Gauge Annual is a wonderful resource!
John