SANDY RIVER AND RANGELEY LAKES NUMBER 23

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

RICHK

SANDY RIVER AND RANGELEY LAKES NUMBER 23

Post by RICHK »

Hello all,
I am just now finishing my build of the number 23 in cyberspace.
I notice in my copy if Jensen's booklet that there is no design for the headlamp. This is a shame because the headlamp is such a prominent feature of the locomotive.
There is a detail for the headlamp step, alas no headlamp!
Also I see that there is no design for a braking system on the steam engine, even though I can see a hint of the brake cylinders on the photos in the Jensen book.

There is some detail for brakes on the tender, but it is not clear how these details on page 64 connect to the two trucks

Sooo any input on these items would be appreciated.
Dick_Morris

Re: SANDY RIVER AND RANGELEY LAKES NUMBER 23

Post by Dick_Morris »

If the author based his work on original locomotive drawings here is a possible reason for the lack drawings for the headlight and brakes -

I have collected around 80% of the drawings for Alaska Railroad #557, a USATC Consolidation. The brake system is an area where I haven't had any luck. The only reference to "foundation brakes" weren't for ALCO (the lead designer) or Baldwin (the builder of our locomotive) drawings, but were for a single assembly drawing from American Brake Company and Westinghouse Air Brake Company. It appears that it was common practice for the designers to give the specifications for the locomotive brakes to the vendor which would adapt one of their standard brake designs and supply the builder with assembly drawings and a kit of parts for installation on the locomotive. The superheater was another place where the locomotive designer just specified a supplier's assembly drawing, in our case the drawing was from The Superheater Company.

The headlight would have likely been an off-the-shelf design, like an injector or check valve. I have found some drawings that were created in RR shops so they could make repair parts for a few accessories such as generators, lubricators, and safety valves.
Loco112

Re: SANDY RIVER AND RANGELEY LAKES NUMBER 23

Post by Loco112 »

The headlight was changed from its original very early on in the life of the locomotive.