Trying steam

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

homebrew .357

Trying steam

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi guys, thought I would have go at making a small mill steam engine, but I don`t know much about it. Have Tubal Cain`s book 2 and Stan Brays one on small steam osculating engines but looking at one a bit bigger. So here`s what I`m trying to do, using a brake cylinder as the steam cylinder with steel piston and ali bronze piston ring fitted, now the cylinder is .812" Id bore and the boiler size is 6 1/2" long x2.400" round, would this boiler be big enough to drive that size piston. the crank movement is 1.466" stroke and I have no plans, :shock: just comeinhandy bits, :roll: Thanks Homebrew.357.
Bill Shields

Re: Trying steam

Post by Bill Shields »

you will find that the holds in a brake cylinder are in the wrong location for using it for steam.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Take a look at MrPete222 on youtube.

He has built several oscillating steam engines from scratch.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

matters not what is on you tube - it is what is in your mind that you can convert to machinery that is important.

I am advising you that the existing holes for hydraulic fluid on brake cylinders are not in the correct location for use with steam..

you need to think about that and realize what needs to be done to make a reciprocating steam engine function.

Once you understand that, you can say 'yes I know what needs to be changed and that will not be a problem'.

otherwise you may well be shooting yourself in the foot by leaping before looking (not having any plans)

Steam consumption is a function of steam pressure (inlet & exhaust), stroke, diameter and SPEED.

Asking if a 2.5 x 6" boiler is large enough is like asking 'how high is up' -> since you also have no idea of what is inside the boiler.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Steve,

Check out some of the designs by Elmer Verburg. These are stationary steam engine designs that need no castings. I would suggest the Mill Engine. They are correctly designed and are a joy to machine and build! You will learn a lot building one. They can also be scaled up to any size you want. The little boiler you are wondering about, is about the size of the little pot boilers that Wilesco and Mamod make for their "toy" steam engines. I used a Wilesco boiler "repurposed" to run my first stationary engine. It worked fine, but not really big enough to do much more than turn over the engine.

David