International Small Scales Meet - Montreal 2017

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

tsph6500

International Small Scales Meet - Montreal 2017

Post by tsph6500 »

Mark your calendars boys! To celebrate 50 years on our current property, the Montreal Live Steamers will be hosting an International Small Scales Meet from June 30th to July 2nd, 2017. Large scales are always welcome as well.

Come and enjoy over 1340 feet of elevated mainline track and facilities, Lots of shade trees and room to camp out. Delicious food and cold beverages at modest prices will be served everyday. Details to follow as plans are made.

Going it's own way from the long-defunct Montreal Model Engineers Society in 1934, MLS has earned a reputation for relaxed, oldtime live steam meets that focus on the art of building locomotives and the socializing amongst fellow members the brotherhood.

In keeping with the traditional aspects of our hobby, we are encouraging members, visitors, vendors and suppliers to bring their wares and projects for display and sale. We hope this will encourage an exchange amongst attendees to continue restoring old engines and the construction of new ones.

Do you have old photographs, slides or movies of days gone by or even last year? We'd love to show them each night under the big dining tent.

Of course nighttime running is also a tradition we enjoy.

Stay tuned for more!
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Builder01

Re: International Small Scales Meet - Montreal 2017

Post by Builder01 »

Sounds like fun!!

The link for the Montreal Live Steamers does not seem to work?

Bummer.
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Builder01 wrote:Sounds like fun!!

The link for the Montreal Live Steamers does not seem to work?

Bummer.
Yes, we are having to change ISP companies.

The site doesn't have this years info yet anyway.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers

kcameron

Post by kcameron »

It would seem that the website is still down or did the name change again?? Searching hasn't found anything functional. Rereading the posting I see you are combining your 50th (for the property) with the meet. Would be nice to see more details but have to wait for the website I guess.

I also see that on the west coast there is an event (road trip really) also calling itself a Small Scales Meet. They are doing a roving trip of many of the 1" gauge and smaller layouts.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

The website is still down after four or five months? Time for a new website!

David
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Builder01 wrote:The website is still down after four or five months? Time for a new website!

David
And it is born tonight.

A bureaucratic ordeal involving the new bank and the Provincial (State in the USA world) government prevented the Board of Directors from securing a domain name and hosting plan under the corporations name. After a multi-year investigation into the corrupt construction industry, the government cracked down on corporations and banking. we are a tiny fish caught up in a very big net.

A simple site now awaits you at http://www.montreallivesteamers.org/
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers

tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Here is the 2017 flyer. a PDF version will be downloadable here or from our web site in the next few days. Print one out and bring it with you when crossing the US/CANADA border. It often helps if you can show where you are going if asked.
Attachments
The 2017 flyer. A PDF copy will be downloadable from our web site soon.
The 2017 flyer. A PDF copy will be downloadable from our web site soon.
2017_meet-flyer-web.pdf
(259.88 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Last edited by tsph6500 on Wed May 03, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers

Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Website looks great! Great job! Thanks so much!

David
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

tsph6500 wrote:
Builder01 wrote:The website is still down after four or five months? Time for a new website!

David
And it is born tonight.

A bureaucratic ordeal involving the new bank and the Provincial (State in the USA world) government prevented the Board of Directors from securing a domain name and hosting plan under the corporations name. After a multi-year investigation into the corrupt construction industry, the government cracked down on corporations and banking. we are a tiny fish caught up in a very big net.

A simple site now awaits you at http://www.montreallivesteamers.org/
I knew there was something wrong in 2000, when the tender kept falling into the gaps...

!

(and in case you are humor deficient, that's with a giant :D )

I wish I was going to be east at that point, but it looks like I get to stay all the way over here- this retired gig means no $ to pay for trips. Dad might show up with something though, what I don't know- probably my kidnapped Brit. Anyone who is contemplating, I can recommend Montreal, as they seemed a right friendly bunch of people when I was last there. (only 17 years ago...)

James Powell
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

James Powell wrote: I knew there was something wrong in 2000, when the tender kept falling into the gaps...
(and in case you are humor deficient, that's with a giant :D )

Anyone who is contemplating, I can recommend Montreal, as they seemed a right friendly bunch of people when I was last there. (only 17 years ago...)

James Powell
Geez… is it really 17 years ago when you were down to Montreal? I remember running your Cariboo, no cab, steaming like a banshee.

The new elevated track opened in 2009, not a foot of track remains from the two loops you ran on. We threw away the gaps too. :)

Your Dad is always a treat to have visit us. He always brings interesting equipment to run and keeps us all laughing with his stories told with a heavy Brit accent.

BTW - that whole working for a living scam isn't what it's cracked up to be. Working all the hours in the week to have money, and no time to play. Retire and have no money to play. What's wrong with being a happy hobo like me?
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers

James Powell

Post by James Powell »

It's the distance. Oh, and VIA went and sold every seat on every train in July, I think...there will be 1867 (or more) very angry <25's who got conned into going to Longlac, Ont, to be detrained (like being deplaned by United, I understand). Two of us came as far as Jasper by train last year, I was thinking of trying to get further this year, but not with that "special" going on.

I'd hit dad up for money, but he blew it all buying models over the last year :) (good news, I get them- bad news, the !@#@!#!@ is going to live to 193 years old to finish all his own projects before he keels over and I get them....).

(I was at a memorial for Don Day on Saturday, who did woodwork out here (on Vancouver Island), not a Model Engineer, but a HSM kind of fellow, had a shop (Day Welding) here for ~20 years & did fine woodworking post "retirement" when his son took over the business. So yes, I am joking- glad to have the opportunity to do so with my dad)

Dad has the Brit, along with some assorted other stuff. The Wren is 5" gauge- yes, just like the 7.25" gauge dart. (though he might bring that, as you are east of the .25/.5 divide). I'm not sure how far the "new" traction has gotten- the " " is because I am fairly sure we first had it in steam before 2000... but it might also be a bit further along. Back then it made an OK semi-portable, with a 'bakky tin holding the smokebox up on a table, at the one show I know it made it to, with only fixed valve gear. At any rate, I think he will come down, probably with one or more of his companions. (he can speak up if he wants to- although he doesn't waste as much time on the internet as I do)

I've two lads here, and they take rather more than the normal amount of care. ( :( ), the big one, as I describe to people who knew me as a kid, is imagine me, now multiply the difficulties by about 2.5, and you've got Daniel. I'm mostly stuck in Sooke, there isn't an easy way anywhere else because of mucking up the support network for the kids.

I needed the break (from work), but now I am at the point of looking. If anyone knows of Power Engineer jobs on Vancouver Island, let me know...I've got my 3rd class hanging on the wall. (unlike, say, the individual in Comox who _had_ a nice photoshopped 1st class one...), along with my Mar Eng Art cert which = either machinist or millwright, but not both.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Crossing the Border.doc
Article I wrote for DLS. Hopefully, of some use to visitors.
(461 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Crossing the Border.doc
Article I wrote for DLS. Hopefully, of some use to visitors.
(461 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."