Lyndam 2 1/2"

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Lyndam 2 1/2"

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I was at the Maricopa Live Steamers Ops meet last week and spotted the Lyndam steam loco. I am taken by the size and simplicity of the little guy. So much so that I am contemplating, just contemplating, going after building one. I spoke with the Owner, and collected some info, and now have a friend attempting to collect the build articles from Live Steam past issues.
But, in search of photos of the prototype i come up with nothing. It is, apparently, a UK design, an 0 4 0 switcher. I'll try to attach a small pic here. Does anyone know what the prototype is called so that I might search out actual photos. I perhaps may wish to add a little of the original ginger bread to a 2 1/2", maybe and original color scheme, or a variation in model so it isn't an exact copy of Andys'.... if I elect to built her. To build is not a question of wanting, it is a question of skill. LOL
lyndam a.jpg
lyndam a.jpg (7.02 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
This isn't the actual that I saw, but a close copy.
Last edited by ChipsAhoy on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squandt

Re: Lyndam 2 1/2"

Post by squandt »

Go to any site having to do with Scotland or the rail road's of there or Wales,I saw these type of engine's in both place's when I was in the Navy in the early 1970's.
stay on the shine side of the rail
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

I'm sure Bob Potter of Southworth Engines will not mind me sharing these photos of his engines. He seems to like Joy valve gear... The turntable and track is located in Sheffield, England. His company provides some interesting steam pumps and etc. I get a kick out of the look of these locomotives...!
Attachments
image1.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0248.JPG
stenella

Post by stenella »

Your picture looks very much like an Orenstein & Koppel engine - but as it is so small, it is difficult to make out.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

stenella wrote:Your picture looks very much like an Orenstein & Koppel engine - but as it is so small, it is difficult to make out.
Did you try clicking on the picture to see a larger version?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I don't know what a pixel is, but i'm going to try to post an actual picture of the Lyndam from the meet.
lyndam5.gif
lyndam6.gif
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Chips...the original (7.5" gauge model) Lyndam from which the magazine article was based on is at the Illinois Live Steamers. The builder, Miles Snyder has long since past away. His son is the current owner. Don't know the current status of the loco other than it's sitting in the club engine house. If I remember correctly, there was quite a controversy over some of the boiler build details...but the passed the club boiler testing regulations. As with anything...do not take the article as gospel, double check dimension and use good judgement when determining build materials and techniques should you get to that point. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

ccvstmr wrote:Chips...the original (7.5" gauge model) Lyndam from which the magazine article was based on is at the Illinois Live Steamers. The builder, Miles Snyder has long since past away. His son is the current owner. Don't know the current status of the loco other than it's sitting in the club engine house. If I remember correctly, there was quite a controversy over some of the boiler build details...but the passed the club boiler testing regulations. As with anything...do not take the article as gospel, double check dimension and use good judgement when determining build materials and techniques should you get to that point. Carl B.
Good tips, thank you. There are several "boiler" folks here in our club. Armed with your advice I'll pester them for reviews.
I heard in passing who built this one machine, but I don't have that info at hand here.
jma1009

Post by jma1009 »

Hi ChipsAhoy,

Your picture is of Talyllyn Railway No.6 'Douglas'.

Built by Andrew Barclay and Co

Quite a few fullsize examples were built to this design.

The other pictures are not the loco you depicted and are mainly a UK miniature design and variants called 'Sweet Pea' marketed by Blackgates in the UK.

The UK magazine 'Engineer in Miniature' is currently running a construction series on the O & K loco of the same type as 'Douglas'.

N.B. 'Douglas' has a well tank between the mainframes. This will create a number of complications in miniature if you copy the prototype.

Cheers,
Julian
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

ChipsAhoy wrote:I was at the Maricopa Live Steamers Ops meet last week and spotted the Lyndam steam loco. I am taken by the size and simplicity of the little guy. ... if I elect to built her. To build is not a question of wanting, it is a question of skill.

Cool looking loco. So, GOFORIT! The Skill comes with doing it! We've got a fellow in our local club who is working on his third loco of this general design. His work is all free lance, based on English quarry locos. Give it a try!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Glenn
I got the build series the other day from a friend and have been reading thru it. It appears that Miles kept one part pripritary, he had a pattern for the cylinders. Apparently they are not of an "off the shelf" design. Still scratchin' my head.
Scotty
NP317

Post by NP317 »

[snip]
We've got a fellow in our local club who is working on his third loco of this general design. His work is all free lance, based on English quarry locos. Give it a try!
Glenn
Sounds like you are talking about Conrad W.
What's he building this time around?
And if he's working on a locomotive, he must have finished his latest marine compound engine...
Just wondering.
~Russ N