OT - Chad O'Connor British Steam truck 1960's?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Kimball McGinley

OT - Chad O'Connor British Steam truck 1960's?

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I work with a fellow who grew up with Chad, who is no longer with us. He recalls that Chad drove this truck from Long Beach, CA to Pasadena sometime in the 1960's. It was a flatbed, coal fired, with bunkers alongside the driver. The story goes that Chad's wife bought it for him. On the trip up Rosemead Blvd. they drove a Ford Falcon in front since the truck brakes were not too good.
If anybody knows where it is now, who has it, etc.; he would like to know... Thanks for the OT post.

Can anyone suggest a more suitable 'Tractor-type" forum I could try? No face blank stuff, thanks!
LVRR2095

Re: OT - Chad O'Connor British Steam truck 1960's?

Post by LVRR2095 »

I don't have a clue about the truck.
That said this is most definitely NOT off topic. The name of the forum is "Live Steam" and not live steam locomotives.
Steam is steam and certainly is "On Topic!"
Keith
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

There used to be a magazine that catered to steam powered cars in the late 1960s. It was published by a club which I'm pretty sure was in Southern California. For a little while the magazine was incorporated as a few pages a month into Live Steam. I can't recall the name at the moment, but you would likely find information on the truck there if you could find someone with copies. I got a copy from a printer my mom knew in Norwalk, so at least some of the copies must have been printed there.
rogprov

Post by rogprov »

You could try here... http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/forum44.php
Its mainly model steam but they also cover "full sized steam" as well.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

You could try on SmokStak, which is a full size US/Canada forum for steam tractors :)

I'd guess it was a Foden, there were a few over here. (and about 5 Sentinel's, but their brakes are rather more effective !)

There is at least one Foden kicking around in NY/Ontario area. There is a Sentinel at the US Transportation Museum, and there were 3-4 Sentinels that were bought by the US Navy in the early 1960's (the one at the Transportation Museum is one of those, and is supposed to have a spare engine with it). The other 3 that were in Ontario have returned to the UK, having effectively spent 40 years in the Matthew's collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGxLr-35JJM

That is the one built for the right coast of NA, it was left hand drive (unique), and probably rebuilt from the first one, as there was a smash up involving it.

There were other Foden's around, there are photos of at least 2 out here, as well as the Mann patent cart here on the island (ex New Westminster)

James
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Thanks everyone! I will forward these messages and links to my friend.

I remember that "Steam Car Section" in a Magazine, but was it Modeltec instead of LS?
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

You're correct, Modeltec published articles from Steam Automobile Club of America (SACA) in 1987/1988 time period. A quick check of the Modeltec index didn't turn up any entries for Chad O'Conner or his steam truck.