19th Annual IBLS Meet--1951

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

keyrouteken

19th Annual IBLS Meet--1951

Post by keyrouteken »

Hi Everybody... Just wanted to share a couple more historic live steam photographs. Back in September-1951, the 19th Annual Brotherhood of Live Steamers Meet was held in Oakland, CA hosted by the Golden Gate Live Steamers. There were many in attendance who came from all over the Country. Two live steam pioneers who journeyed from the East Coast were Carl Purinton and Lester Friend.

Photo 1. The man in the gray suit with his hands folded is Lester Friend, speaking to several members at the GGLS Headquarters.

Photo 2. In the second photo, Lester Friend is dead center behind the big engine. To his left, wearing the shop coat, is Vic Shattock, President and GGLS Founder. To Vic's left is club secretary Frank Dee. I knew Frank as a child. Years later, my older sister told me that Frank Dee was a "Furrier" by trade. He took a small piece of MINK and made a coat for one of her dolls !
Wow !!

Ken Shattock
IBLS
Lester Friend--GGLS Hdqtrs-IBLS-1951
Lester Friend--GGLS Hdqtrs-IBLS-1951
Attachments
Vic Shattock-Lester Friend-IBLS-GGLS-1951
Vic Shattock-Lester Friend-IBLS-GGLS-1951
NP317

Re: 19th Annual IBLS Meet--1951

Post by NP317 »

Ken:
Different times. Do you suppose they wore their ties while working in their shops?
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area 1950 - 69, and never knew about the GGLS!
I have since reformed...
Thanks again for sharing the historic photos. Please keep them coming.
~RN