Allen Models new castings - 3 3/4" scale Sandy River #24 or Maxi-7

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Allen Models new castings - 3 3/4" scale Sandy River #24 or Maxi-7

Post by Harlock »

(EDIT: Corrected confusion between locomotives in description and title)

These new 3 3/4" scale castings from Allen Models can be used to make a 2-6-2 Sandy River #24, a 2-4-4 Don Young Maxi-Lucky 7 or a freelance 3 3/4" scale locomotive of your choice. Most of the castings could be used to make a 12" outside frame locomotive or 15" gauge inside frame locomotive of your choice, using different drivers. Our castings are new castings made from new patterns by master model engineer Ken Schroeder and represent Allen Models' first foray into two foot narrow gauge.

The Don Young drawings, originally published in Live Steam Magazine from January 1977 to March 1980 are now available from AJ Reeves Engineering in the UK. Regardless of the wheel configuration, these drawings can be used for cylinder etc. machining.

The book Two-Foot Cylopedia, Volume 2, SR & RL Engine No. 23, William H. Jensen, Jr. Flag Stop, 1977 was used by Ken Schroeder to build his engine and modify the trailing truck from the pilot truck and get additional rear-frame information. http://www.maine2footquarterly.com/books.htm

There is a complete price sheet and totals on the new page at: https://allenmodels.com/sandyriver.html
All castings are in stock and available to ship now.

We are now working on price sheets and totals for ALL Allen Models engines, now that this engine is online. Thank you for your patience and looking forward to anther great year at Allen Models.

UPDATE: New photos of Ken's locomotive here and below.

-Steve and Mike
Attachments
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7529-fixed.jpg
Last edited by Harlock on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Kimball McGinley

Re: Allen Models new castings - 3 3/4" scale Sandy River #24 or Maxi-7

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I have been to Ken's ranch and have seen that terrific locomotive, although at the time it was suspended above his SUV in the garage! You can see that both his mallet and the new loco are on a serious car-type lift in photo 2. He said it was easier than building another storage shed, and they are too big to run on his own railroad anyway.
Congratulations on buying these patterns from Ken - it is great to know his efforts will not become a "one-off" loco!
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

That is one beautiful looking engine. A bit too big for my current abilities and set-up (I am building a 3.75" scale Sweet William) but it gives one something to aspire to for the future.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Well I have to say I did think this would happen, but made the first sale on casting for this engine. I did not expect it to happen so soon. This engine is big and heavy. But it has the pulling power to haul very heavy car loads. This would be great for Club engine. I believe it could haul 50 passengers. So the waiting line would move fast. Also make into a great 15" engine.
Steve Alley
Allen Models of Nevada,LLC
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

GGLS has a 2000 lb weight limit and a 450 lb per axle weight restriction on engines. I'm wondering if this new engine will come in under those weight limits? I certainly hope so as I'd like to see one run here some day.

JerryK
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

jkimberln wrote:GGLS has a 2000 lb weight limit and a 450 lb per axle weight restriction on engines. I'm wondering if this new engine will come in under those weight limits? I certainly hope so as I'd like to see one run here some day.

JerryK
Did the very large Strawberry Canyon Railroad RMI sweet creek with the tractor seat fall within those limits? I saw it at GGLS a number of times.

The Sandy River castings weigh 1100lbs unmachined, so they get a little lighter especially the cylinders, but then add on a frame and a boiler and a cab and other doodads. I think it will be close but doable.
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

It was a Sweet Creek loco and was right at the ragged edge of our limits. I'd have to go to our registry book to tell you the exact weight, however. We always thought the weight limit was for engine and tender, but it is really only the engine. I think the real problem is the 450 lb per axle limit. More than that could possibly spread the rails or even roll them over. We haven't had that happen and the Sweet Creek appeared to handle the track just fine. No doubt we will weigh a Sandy River if we are lucky enough to see one here.

JerryK
RCW

Post by RCW »

Beautiful engine. Thanks for expanding the hobby! But I have to ask: "How many tracks have a 65' min. radius?"
--Bob
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Hi to all and there is mostly 65 foot radius on club tracks. I have rebuild a few engines and most Pacific's need the radius. You will find a lot of track out there that needs this and most do. Sacramento Valley Live Steamer is one. But the return lead to the steaming bays is 50 foot. This engine has ran at SVLS, River Side Live Steams, Orange County Live Steamer, and I think at Goleta also. Thank You for asking this. Hope this tells you something.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Did the first shoot outdoors with Ken's locomotive yesterday. Here are some more photos and updated the main photo on the top post. The photo of the other engine at Sacramento was rather poor quality, this gives a better idea of the engine.
Attachments
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7529.jpg
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7526.jpg
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7504.jpg
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7547.jpg
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7520.jpg
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

A couple more including Ken's functional 3 3/4" turbogenerator.
Attachments
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7523.jpg
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7538.jpg
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7516.jpg
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7541.jpg
17-04-27_schroeder-SRRL-7515.jpg
Pennsy fan

Post by Pennsy fan »

Mike, what the injector he's got on it?