Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

mattmason
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by mattmason » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Can anyone tell me about the cab forward at the beginning of this video on youtube? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKVGVNbGVI

It is not Ed's and looks to be 1" scale, as it looks as it is being steamed up in the 1" and smaller steaming bays at giggles. I've been around for a long time, but have never heard even rumors of this loco. It is labeled as Ed's, but I think that is wrong.
Matt Mason

LSGOD
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Northern Californa

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by LSGOD » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:26 pm

HEY MATT. I THINK IVE SEEN THAT ENGINE SOMETIME IN THE PAST. IS NOT MINE. ED

mattmason
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by mattmason » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Didn't think so, Ed.

I would love to know where the heck this new one is and who it belonged to.
Matt Mason

User avatar
Loco112
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:09 pm
Location: Dallas ,Texas. USA

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by Loco112 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:24 pm

While we're searching for info on that terrific(!)video... Does anyone know where and who has the patterns and project info for Andy C's Allegheny? I'd like to contact them. A phone number would be great! Thanks.
Narrow Gauge (Information) Exchange dot Org forum
My Projects:
Davenport 30 ton diesel (SV#101 / D&RGW#50)
C&S 1908 steel & 1905 wood: box, stock, flat, gon
D&RGW wooden freight cars, long & short cabeese
EBT 2-bay hoppers, Conoco #44 tank
DV (K&J) hopper
8"n3 - 3-footers, 8" scale, 24" gauge

BClemens
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by BClemens » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:06 am

The mallet compound is a jewel! Authentic looking - a 'scale' model.

User avatar
NP317
Posts: 1994
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Northern Oregon

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by NP317 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:13 am

BClemens wrote:The mallet compound is a jewel! Authentic looking - a 'scale' model.
Which locomotive are you referring to? Photo possible, please?

Steam Locomotive configuration definition notes:
"Simple Articulated" = 2 engines with 2 cylinders of equal size, + simple steam use (parallel distribution), the forward engine articulating;
Compound = 4 cylinders of different size pairs, with steam used compounded (series distribution);
"Mallet" (named after Anatole Mallet) = Compound + Articulated.

Photo attached of a true Mallet steam locomotive.
~RN
Mallet004.jpg

BClemens
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by BClemens » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:38 pm

NP317 wrote:
BClemens wrote:The mallet compound is a jewel! Authentic looking - a 'scale' model.
Which locomotive are you referring to? Photo possible, please?

Steam Locomotive configuration definition notes:
"Simple Articulated" = 2 engines with 2 cylinders of equal size, + simple steam use (parallel distribution), the forward engine articulating;
Compound = 4 cylinders of different size pairs, with steam used compounded (series distribution);
"Mallet" (named after Anatole Mallet) = Compound + Articulated.

Photo attached of a true Mallet steam locomotive.
~RN
Mallet004.jpg
This engine in the OP's Youtube link:
Attachments
Mallet.jpg
Mallet2.jpg

Rwilliams
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:45 pm
Location: Central California

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by Rwilliams » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:50 pm

The big C&O articulated was a real monster and the largest locomotive Andy C. ever built. He was a master at fabrication of parts or milling parts from sold stock. It is doubtful that any patterns exist for the locomotive. The new owner is back East somewhere nearer to the C&O heritage of the model.

BClemens
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by BClemens » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Rwilliams wrote:The big C&O articulated was a real monster and the largest locomotive Andy C. ever built. He was a master at fabrication of parts or milling parts from sold stock. It is doubtful that any patterns exist for the locomotive. The new owner is back East somewhere nearer to the C&O heritage of the model.
Didn't intend to hijack the OP's topic.... I'm a fan (for far too many years) of the Virginian Railway and their massive Mallets for pulling and pushing coal trains. That company had some of the largest locomotives back in the day of coal. Some had to be delivered to the company in pieces due to their massive size was too much for some right-of-ways on the delivery route. Love them Mallets....need to retire to my shop and get busy!

BClemens

User avatar
NP317
Posts: 1994
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Northern Oregon

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by NP317 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:04 am

BClemens said:
"This engine in the OP's Youtube link:"

Thank you. I totally missed that! Must be going blind...
Beautiful locomotive!
~RN

jcbrock
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by jcbrock » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:22 am

The Mallet was another engine by Dick Thomas, and was also on the dust jacket of Steve Booth's 'Master Railroad Builder'. I have heard it was best known for rolling over in his vehicle as he made the turn off 24 to go up 'the back way' into Tilden Park.
John Brock

User avatar
kenrinc
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:11 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by kenrinc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:02 am

I vaguely remember seeing this engine back then. I believe it's 3.5" gauge. I thought it might be an AC9 at first glance till I saw the cab. I don't get why it has the shroud.

Ken

Post Reply