Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Loco112

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by Loco112 »

Does anyone know if Andy or his estate donated his paper, library, project notes, etc.. to anyone or any group after his passing?
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

keyrouteken wrote:**********THE MYSTERY IS HEREBY SOLVED !!! ************

The locomotive shown at GGLS years ago is a 3/4-inch scale, 3 1/2-inch gauge 2-6-6-2 built by the late "Lester D. Friend" of Danvers, MA. The late GGLS Member ''HENRY PASS'' got hold of it and tried to "turn it around" and make an SP Cab Forward out of it !! The man standing nearby is GGLS Member "Charlie Pickup" !!!!!

As "Art Baker" used to say on TV years ago, Chaski Live Steamers, YOU ASKED FOR IT !!!!!!!!

Ken Shattock
GGLS Club Historian
Secretary, IBLS
I don't think they said it was built by Lester Friend, as he built a 4-6-6-4 not a 2-6-6-2. I think what was meant was it was built using Friend's castings.
Keith
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

Hi Keith-- Whatever you say !! I was only repeating what "Postwar Bob" told me. I'll have to look at the movie again, see if I can freeze the frame, and see if I can tell how many wheels in the front and back it has. Take care.

Ken Shattock
IBLS

OK-- Illustrious Keith Taylor and all others--- I looked again nat that old GGLS YouTube video of the Cab Forward in question..

Keith-- I think that "COULD" be a 4-6-6-4 or 4-6-6-2, BECAUSE if you freeze the photo frame which I did, you can POSITIVELY see a four-wheel truck under the Cab. You can definitely make out the TWO distinct journal boxes for that truck.

Possibly at the other end too, but a lot more difficult to tell, for sure !!

Ken Shattock
GGLS
IBLS
squandt

Post by squandt »

Hey everybody,I have the neg's for both the photo's I posted.I don't know if you still can get them blown up and printed these day's, what with all the cell phone tech.I will look around to see if it is still done here in Cleveland.
stay on the shine side of the rail
randallg

Post by randallg »

There is a picture of this engine in live steam September 1981 pg 59
www.chaski.com
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

Hey everybody,I have the neg's for both the photo's I posted.I don't know if you still can get them blown up and printed these day's, what with all the cell phone tech.I will look around to see if it is still done here in Cleveland.

SIR-- Send your negatives to "Dwayne's Photo" in Parsons, KS. They do beautiful B&W and color work for over 50-years.
Quick service-- Inexpensive.. Use them myself... https://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

YOU will NOT be disappointed !!!

Ken Shattock
GGLS Club Historian
IBLS Secretary
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Ken....does the 4-6-6-4 have the 14 wheel caterpillar tender?
Lester Friends Challenger had the caterpillar tender.
I have attached a photo of Lester Friend's Challenger taken at the Yankee Shop.

Keith
Attachments
Lester Friend's 4-6-6-4
Lester Friend's 4-6-6-4
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

"If i remember right I sold it for Henry at LALS many years back" Postwarbob said. Bob do you remember who you sold it to?
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Postwarbob wrote:The cab forward engine in this photo was taken at GGLS and the engine is a Lester Friends articulated. 3/4" scale. It was owned by member Henry Pass of Oakland Ca. If i remember right I sold it for Henry at LALS many years back. Henry turned it around and made a cab for it to look liks a cab ahead.
Dad,

I think we took it down to LA in 1990 and delivered it to that guy's house. We either boiler tested it down there or fired it up? Can't quite remember but I think the year is right.

-RM