Details Details Details

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

EOsteam

Details Details Details

Post by EOsteam »

What are the references for modeling a Union Pacific 4-8-4 FEF 2 or 3. It seems like many of you modelers are walking encyclopedias about the details of your particular locomotives. Where does one find references that detail where the injectors are located and who the manufacturers were? The same for lights, power reverse and a ton of other details. At this point I'm just trying to get the frame, wheels and running gear built but at some point I'm going to need to be well informed. Are there books that will help or is a trip to Cheyenne in the making?

HJ
pat1027

Re: Details Details Details

Post by pat1027 »

Bill Fitt published a book of FE3 drawings years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Union-Pacific-F ... SwOgdYwHbZ
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

The other standard reference would be "The Mighty 800" by William Kratville.
John Brock
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It has been rumored for some time now that the UP Historical Society is planning to release the prints for the 4-8-4 on a CD. If so, it will be a bargain for those who seek information that is not readily available. Does anyone know if that plan is still valid?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

They are still available. Search: UPHS Drawing DVD

They show that they still offer the: early and late Challengers, the Big Boy, an 0-6-0 Switcher, and a Various Common and Erecting Drawings

The "various" would seem to offer something useful for every livesteam builder, but I was told the contents by someone who bought a copy and neither he nor I noticed any of the common appliances and appurtenances that every replica builder is always searching for, no matter his: gauge, scale or prototype preference.
apm

Post by apm »

Don't forget to get a copy of a locomotive cyclopedia or two. I remember the first time a friend showed me a copy of his I knew I had to get one. I now have the 1930, 1941, and 1944 editions. After seeing one and all of a sudden it made sense where everyone was getting their info on all the different parts and pieces. Those things have almost any detail you want.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Roger Goldmann has drawings of the FEF-3 for sale at Live Steam Locomotives.... But the drawing sets are by no means close to complete.

Engine drawing list... http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/dra ... rthern.htm

Tender drawing list... http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/dra ... tender.htm

Until the UPHS finally makes a disk of drawings available for the FEF's, the drawing disks for both the Big Boy and Challenger have drawings for parts common to all three locomotives. One eccentric drawing is used all three locos, for example.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
davidqueener

Post by davidqueener »

Gentlemen,

I have the entire Wildwood Publications FEF-3 booklet scanned as a PDF file. Since it is now long out of print, I think there would not be a problem with sharing its contents. Please contact me offline. The file is about 45 megs.

Cheers,

Dave Queener
Pastor, St. Paul Presbyterian Church
www.StPaulPres.com (865) 209-5654

Owner, Cumberland Model Engineering
www.CumberlandModelEngineering.com (865) 947-7935
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

One thing to consider. 833 was considered an experimental model, so variations in standard hardware are considered the norm. It (833) sat for years in Pioneer Park, in Salt Lake City, Utah, but has since been moved to Ogden, Utah. That's a lot closer to you than Cheyenne.

http://locomotive.wikia.com/wiki/Union_Pacific_No._833
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.