Building late 1800's pullman passenger cars

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ironcaliper1016

Building late 1800's pullman passenger cars

Post by ironcaliper1016 »

There are four 1.5 scale really nice looking mid 20th century heavyweight pullman trains that regularly run at the club I go to during run days/meets. However, Its not often you see a late 1800's tounge and groove sided string of pullmans. I know there are one or two suppliers who build late these 1800's pullmans but I would rather take the challenge of building them myself. I already have the basic dimensions from measuring one of the 60ft cars at Strasburg railroad in PA. Has anyone else on here ever built one of these passenger cars and have tips, pictures of the build process particularly the roof? any drawings, pictures, advice would be really appreciated.

thanks, Jay
SZuiderveen

Re: Building late 1800's pullman passenger cars

Post by SZuiderveen »

This is THE book.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Ra ... M1AQAAMAAJ

Been reprinted by Orange Empire Railwsy Museum, but presently out-of-print.

Steve
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Hello Jay,
So far no one has mentioned the old book that will give some insights into the construction of passenger cars and freight cars in the era you want to model.
That book is the Master Car Builder's Cyclopedia for 1879. I think I have the title very close to correct. This book was reprinted in the 1970s and copies may be available on ebay or Amazon. I believe that there was another later version in the 1880s and another in the early 1900s both also available as reproductions. They all have a dictionary in the front which identifies all the component parts of the cars. Highly recommended.
Cary
Fender

Post by Fender »

Cary Stewart wrote:Hello Jay,
<snip>
That book is the Master Car Builder's Cyclopedia for 1879. I think I have the title very close to correct. This book was reprinted in the 1970s and copies may be available on ebay or Amazon. <snip>
Cary
No need to buy these books, because they are available for free on Google books.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Hmmm? Politely throwing a railroad wrench into this thread. For as a modeler, details do stand out. Including this statement
from Harold's Subject Matter, Please Read:

"...Readers,

It would be in the interest of board harmony to have the Steam Forum reserved exclusively for discussion of the building and operation of steam devices. By observing this request, we will be paying due respect to those who have, for years, enjoyed the Steam Forum, and have observed the requirements regards subject matter."

It does not matter to me either way, I'm just calling attention to it.

Jay, I have an excellent source of information I'm willing to part with that was purchased at an antique store recently.

John White's, The American Railroad Passenger Car (Part 1)
It's a large 371 page paperback book with lots of photos, including photos of actual cars under construction, drawings etc.
The preface in the book has a very nice timeline showing the transition of the railroad passenger car from 1830 to 1940.
If you are going to build an 1800s era car, you should have this book. I don't need it.

Contact me off list if you're interested in it, or need more specifics as to what's in the book.

John

Post Script Edit: After posting this, I did notice it was Jay's first post, so I'll pull the Railroad Wrench out of the right-of-way.

Ha Ha, second Post Script: I can't beat this deal, perhaps this is a better option for both parts 1 and 2.
https://www.amazon.com/American-Railroa ... 0801827434
Berne Ketchum

Post by Berne Ketchum »

Jay, a few years ago I built a wooden passenger train of 1890-1900, and it's on here somewhere. I have some photos of how I did the clerestory roofs that might be of interest. I can't remember how much into the construction I went on the posts, but if it's not there, feel free to PM me, and I'll try to dig up the photos.
ironcaliper1016

Post by ironcaliper1016 »

Sorry it took me so long to respond on here, I looked through Berne Ketchums thread and found most of the information that I need. I put together some of my own drawings and am gonna start building next week. I got to a point where I need to stop thinking too hard about how to do it and just do it. As soon as i get some progress made ill be posting pictures on here and doing my best to describe how I do it as I go along.