Note in Passing: Ken Casford

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

dwilloughby

Note in Passing: Ken Casford

Post by dwilloughby »

See next post.
Last edited by dwilloughby on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwilloughby

Re: Note in Passing: Ken Casford

Post by dwilloughby »

The Live Steam hobby lost one of its members last night, April 10, 2017. Ken Casford, Honorary member, past president and long time member of the Riverside Live Steamers passed away after 7 months of hospice care. Not only was Ken a great friend to us at RLS, but he also was known in the O Scale circles as Box Car Ken. Ken is survived by his wife Norma
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I met Ken a couple times at various meets, Great guy....said to hear this my prayers to the family

Mike
Little Engines
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

In the late 1940's/early 1950's there was a gentleman in Southern California who produced O-scale freight and passenger car kits for the model railroad hobbyist.
He utilized an address at or near the old PE building in downtown L.A. known as 'Metropolitan Station' as I recall. His kits were absolutely beautiful and widely known. The guy called himself "Boxcar Ken" !! And BC kits were grabbed up by modelers every chance they could. They were very popular.

Around 10 years ago or so, two gentlemen made the trip from Fresno to Southern California to acquire the BC models (Box Car Ken) presses and tooling from the widow of Bill Cotton. Bill was the tool and die maker behind the BC kits, and he certainly was a genius in his trade. They managed to find and identify all but a few of the items needed to perpetuate the models, but one critical component was never located, that being the indexing jigs needed to properly space window and door openings in the car sides. One "feature" of all of the BC kits was the oversized truck cut-outs. Apparently, this compromise was made to allow the kits to be built and operated by the 3-rail crowd. They had a new punch and die made to fit Bill's punch "shoe" and now have the ability to punch proper truck cutouts for the car sides. All of this stuff is "old school", but the results can be quite nice.

So why do I tell you guys all this O-scale stuff in a Live Steam forum on Chaski ??

Well, to continue-- At Christmas time, in 1973, my new wife Suzie and I were house guests of the late Dick Bagley. Dick took us all over to show us the Live Steam scene in Southern California. As part of this, I was the keynote speaker at the Annual Banquet of the Los Angeles Live Steamers. It was during my talk to the LALS members during dinner, that I spotted my old friend 'Gary Kubicek' in the middle of the crowd.
Dick Bagley took us to the Riverside Live Steamers, where he had Suzie operate the "Hunter" 4-8-4 locomotive. She did very well and I captured her adventure on motion picture film. Dick then said he had someone "special" for us to meet as Dick knew I was also an avid O-scale enthusiast.
He said "Ken, I'd like you to meet BOXCAR KEN" !! WOW-- it was really HIM. In the flesh. The renowned BOXCAR KEN!!! (grin)

So, as this tale concludes, who was that 'masked man' who was responsible for the famous BC Car Kits ?? Simple... oldtime RLS member "KEN CASFORD" ...

And now you know the rest of this historic tale !! Cheers.

SO-- As we come to the close of my story, I send my condolences to his family: his wife, his son, his grandson.
You were so very lucky to know "Boxcar Ken" .....

Ken Shattock
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Ken was a great guy! I met him at Roy Pickard's C&IG railroad out in Texas. We talked several times, and he ran the 989 some on one occasion. Last time I saw him was probably about 7 or 8 years ago. He always was talking about his family, telling good stories, and being someone you liked sitting and talking with. He will be missed.
Godspeed to you, Ken!
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

Pontiacguy1 wrote:Ken was a great guy! I met him at Roy Pickard's C&IG railroad out in Texas. We talked several times, and he ran the 989 some on one occasion. Last time I saw him was probably about 7 or 8 years ago. He always was talking about his family, telling good stories, and being someone you liked sitting and talking with. He will be missed.
Godspeed to you, Ken!
Memorial Services for Ken Casford are as follows :

Service for Ken will be: Public Viewing, Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:00pm-8:30pm White Emerson Mortuary 13304- Philadelphia Street. Whittier, CA 90601 (562) 698-0304 Memorial Service, Wednesday April 19, 2017 1:30 pm, reception following service at the Church social hall. First United Methodist Church 13222- Bailey Street Whittier, CA 90601 (562) 698-0022 .

Ken Shattock
IBLS
LALS
GGLS
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

Here is Ken's lengthy obituary !! May he rest in peace !

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/whitti ... 8&f=portal

Ken Shattock
IBLS