Allen Models making changes.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cbrew

Re: Allen Models making changes.

Post by cbrew »

In my area. Water jet carries about a three fold cost increase over laser. At lease it did when I was shopping around. It's not worth it for anything I have built to date
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

cbrew wrote:In my area. Water jet carries about a three fold cost increase over laser. At lease it did when I was shopping around. It's not worth it for anything I have built to date
Thanks for that info, Chris.
I remember that you had your coach parts laser cut. Seems like the better solution these days, at least for thinner metals.

Nice to see you posting again. 'Thought a rock fell on you for a while.
~Russ
John_S

Post by John_S »

NP317 wrote:
rwmorris wrote:I'm huge fan of water-jet parts... The rods are a perfect candidate for this process.
I would expect water-jet to cost more that laser cut. Anyone have info on relative costs?
The water-jet I had in my University shop had high consumable and cleaning expenses.
But they surely work wonders.
~RN
I work with water jet and laser shops every single day (for my day job) and it depends on what you're having them cut. Sometimes water jet is more, sometimes laser is more. Material, quantity, shop schedule, etc., all play a role.

i.e. if a water jet shop already has a job lined up with the same material they can add your parts onto it (one setup) and cut them cheaper than if they have to do your job on its own.

If you have a choice and are flexible, I'd go with water jet. No edge hardening.
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

I use waterjet a little more because I can swing deals with the owner which helps on the cost. I did however just run a job for a work item and laser won out by about 8-10% reduction in cost over my preferred method.

Here's the new frames and side rods for my version of the Allen American. Pretty slick and they only need minor machine work to finish up.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... 0a7505.jpg

:-)

-Robert M.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

NP317 wrote:
cbrew wrote:In my area. Water jet carries about a three fold cost increase over laser. At lease it did when I was shopping around. It's not worth it for anything I have built to date
Thanks for that info, Chris.
I remember that you had your coach parts laser cut. Seems like the better solution these days, at least for thinner metals.

Nice to see you posting again. 'Thought a rock fell on you for a while.
~Russ
yup, still kicking, currently doing a full rebuild on the ole american, times to bring her back too her full glory :)
the ten wheeler will be then go through a transformation ;)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Chris Brew said: "the ten wheeler will be then go through a transformation "

This I gotta see!!
~RN