Steam Engine Identification Needed

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cmallc

Steam Engine Identification Needed

Post by cmallc »

Hi - I have just acquired a steam engine and I was curious about who the manufacturer is. It is 20" long, 10.5" wide and weighs 45 pounds. Its a 2 cylinder automobile engine. I also need to know the horse power and the steam pressure required to make it run. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Last edited by cmallc on Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmallc

Re: Steam Engine Identification

Post by cmallc »

I am also trying to determine the boiler size required to run the engine.
Soot n' Cinders

Re: Steam Engine Identification Needed

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Looks like a Stanley Steam Car engine to me
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Soot n' Cinders wrote:Looks like a Stanley Steam Car engine to me
My first thought, too.
~RN
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

I seem to recall that some of the cars ran around 150 psi but others were around 500-600 psi!! A year or two ago a large ride was coming though the state and our club was one of their stops for a few hours. We had something like 50 or so cars and they got some rides on our trains and we rode in their cars.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I had googled images of stanley steamer engines and nothing came up that looked like that.

There may have been other contemporary manufacturers of steam-powered cars, and it could be one of them. The size and configuration look like an automobile application.

Whatever it is, it's pretty cool.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote:I had googled images of stanley steamer engines and nothing came up that looked like that.

There may have been other contemporary manufacturers of steam-powered cars, and it could be one of them. The size and configuration look like an automobile application.
Two of the more commonly known makers of steam cars were Doble and White. It may be hard to track down the maker, as, if memory serves, over 100 makes were once on the market.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That thing is really neat... Imagine using it to make a 15" gauge shay or something like that.

As far as boiler size, do you know what the bore and stroke are, and what RPM it would likely run?
cmallc

Post by cmallc »

Thanks for your comments everyone. One person who saw the photos said he thought it had a 2" bore and 3" stroke. He also felt the horsepower was below 10 and steam pressure was about 100psi. This gentleman said if I gave him the dimension of the crank throw, he can double that for stroke length. Its being shipped to me so I can upload any serial numbers and markings when I get it. The Stanley Museum administrators and sponsors are having a meeting tomorrow night and the secretary said she'd pass along the pictures to the group. I hope we can get an answer...
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

White as well as Locomobile made steam cars at the same time that the Stanleys were active.
There were many other small firms such as Mason Regulator, Orient and Waltham built steam cars. Some engines like this were used in farm tractors as well. It may be difficult trying to pin down the maker.

Keith
cmallc

Post by cmallc »

Thanks Keith.

I just received this from Michael Preston in the UK:

Thanks for your email.  Your steam engine would appear to be an from American steam car of the early period  C1895-1907.
These engines were produced by a wide range of companies and I am afraid I cant identify it more precisely.  Hope this is of help.
Kind regards,

Michael

Michael List Brain | prestonservices.co.uk | +44 (0)1227 722502