Steam in Cuba

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLSTEAM

Steam in Cuba

Post by FLSTEAM »

I am planning a trip later this year to Cuba. Has anyone been to Cuba in the past 12 months?
It looks like steam operations are gone except for one hold out tourist train but that information is several years old.

John B
Glenn Brooks

Re: Steam in Cuba

Post by Glenn Brooks »

John, I ran into somebody a year or two ago who took a three week train oriented tour of Cuba. Don't know where they are now but they had a LOT of RR oriented photos.

I bet there is a lot of steam equipment to be seen in Cuba - even if many/most loco's are withdrawn from service. It would be very interesting to hunt them down!

P.S., Cagney Brothers sent several 15" ga loco's to Cuba in the early part of the 1900's. Can you keep an eye out for any miniature RR equipment that might still exist? I would love to know what might still be found there in 12" to 15" ga... :D

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
LVRR2095

Re: Steam in Cuba

Post by LVRR2095 »

Glenn Brooks wrote:
P.S., Cagney Brothers sent several 15" ga loco's to Cuba in the early part of the 1900's. Can you keep an eye out for any miniature RR equipment that might still exist? I would love to know what might still be found there in 12" to 15" ga... :D

Glenn
There is a early light series Cagney at the Railway museum in Havana. It was restored to operating condition by Agustin Perez Prieguez and others at a sugar mill. There are at least two other Cagney on display in Cuba as well.

Keith Taylor