Railroad Supply History

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mikadoguy

Re: Railroad Supply History

Post by Mikadoguy »

Last few photos
Attachments
IMG_E0728.JPG
IMG_E0729.JPG
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Who are the two people shown above?
H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:41 pm Who are the two people shown above?
H
I don't know who the lady is, but the bottom photo is Chet Petersen.
Mikadoguy

Post by Mikadoguy »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:41 pm Who are the two people shown above?
H
Harold, I don't know the name off the top of my head, but I do believe that she was the secretary for Railroad Supply. I wanna say these were taken in the early 80's. These pictures should be in the 9 or 10 edition of the Railroad Supply Catalog.

Steve
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

The photo of Chet is in the sixth edition catalog. Mid-to late 70s?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks. I have heard Chet's name mentioned time and again, and, if I recall correctly, he owned a UP Northern, which I saw in '90 at the IBLS meet in LA. Nice to put a face on the name.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

I have forgotten that ladies name but my late wife stood in for her several summers when she was not teaching nursing students. Those photos of the 4-4-0s raised some hackles at Little Engines. Chet had them on the molding surrounding the big window that looked in on the Engineering room. He had captioned them His and Hers. In the above reproductions I see a significant difference in the photo scales. If I recall the actual photos were pretty accurate in scale for comparison. The Little Engines 4-4-0 was a expansion of a model of the C.P Huntington 4-2-4T which is a very small engine. something like 10 tons (?). The engine is on display at the California State RR Museum in Sacramento, CA. RRSC's CP173 is quite a bit larger than the LE one.
Cary
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

Sorry to join this party late.

After I bought my Mikado castings from Railroad Warehouse, I met Nick Edwards and he related the story behind that locomotive to me.
I'll leave to others to tell the story as I'll probably forget important facts.

On another note, the 6 wheel passenger trucks, pictured in Nelson's book, So You Want to Build a Steam Locomotive, were designed by Bud Buker. He had the patterns made, cast the trucks he needed, and lent the patterns to Chet.

Karl
Mikadoguy

Post by Mikadoguy »

Does anyone know where the Bolus Blomberg engine trucks and the Hi-Level 2 and 3 axle truck pattern boards are? We have been looking for leads to where they are.
Attachments
IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0751.JPG
USRA 0-6-0 that was in the works of being made and sold by Railroad Supply. It was featured in one of the catalogs.
USRA 0-6-0 that was in the works of being made and sold by Railroad Supply. It was featured in one of the catalogs.
Yellow_13

Post by Yellow_13 »

Thanks for the fascinating read, it's great to be able to live the story of something that happened in a place and time which are so far away! I'll try and see if I can create such a story about the former aviation factory in the city I live in, it closed in the 90s but most of its former engineers, workers etc are still around and must have pictures.