Tracks in Connecticut?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

apm

Tracks in Connecticut?

Post by apm »

I have heard some rumors of tracks in Connecticut over the years, I seem to recall meeting someone who had a track down on the shoreline somewhere. I was wondering if anyone knows of any more tracks or interest in the hobby in this state?

Have there been any tracks in the past? I was watching an episode of American Pickers and they went to a place in Ivoryton CT, and came across what looked to be a 1/8th scale northern or hudson from memory (I can't recall which) I wonder where that used to run. They showed some old black and white photos of it running.

Heck I should have about 100ft of 7.25" test track in at my house if anyone wants to stop by and run their locomotive at my place in North Haven :D. All and all though I am starting to wish I had either chosen to build a traction engine, or steam boat rather than a locomotive as there seem to be a lot more places to run those here in this state.
SteveM

Re: Tracks in Connecticut?

Post by SteveM »

There used to be a track in Greewich. LBSC was staying with someone there when he was visiting the US and they had a track there. I seriously doubt they would allow one today - the neighbors would be too worried about the coal dust getting on their Teslas and Porsches.

Can you add rails for 3-1/2 and 4-3/4" :-)

Steve
JimJam

Post by JimJam »

Many of the CT people come up to Pioneer Valley LS in Southwick MA. Straight up route 91. When you get to Springfield, hang a left onto route 57.

I knew of a track in the northwestern part of CT. It's a privately owned track and quite extensive with a tall trestle and tunnel.

Don't give up searching.

- Jimi -
Harvard, MA
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Tall is an understatement!

Jim B
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

We just did some landscaping. I had some work done to level the yard from side to side. My wife thinks this was for the patio and the shed, but I envision railroad tracks at some point.

A neighbor was expanding his driveway, which was a single car width and could hold two cars. He went 10 feet sideways and gave me the dirt. We also had the high side dug out a bit and spread to the low side, so we probably reduced the slope by 3-5 feet from high to low.

Steve
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

SteveM wrote:There used to be a track in Greewich. LBSC was staying with someone there when he was visiting the US and they had a track there. I seriously doubt they would allow one today - the neighbors would be too worried about the coal dust getting on their Teslas and Porsches.

Can you add rails for 3-1/2 and 4-3/4" :-)

Steve
-
The track at Greenwich belonged to live steam supplier Calvert Holt. For a short time LBSC and his wife Mabel lived in a cottage on the Holt estate and they built locomotives together. Holt eventually was commissioned to build several 7 1/4" gauge New York Central Hudsons for the 1939 NY World's Fair. During that build one of the Hudson chassis rolled off the building stand. Holt tried to catch the loco and it struck him. A blood clot formed and moved to his brain....killing him.

Another track, now long gone, in Connecticut was at the home of the late George Murray at 189 School Street, Manchester Connecticut. It was an elevated loop with both 2 - 1/2" and 3 - 1/2" gauges.

Keith
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Photos of the Calvert Holt and George Murray tracks can be seen here:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Calvert_Holt

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=George_Murray

Regards,
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

I am providing signal equipment for a gentleman who has a private track near Hartford. He has both 7.5" and 15". My equipment will be driving his full-size searchlight and semaphore signals as well as scale signals for automatic, bi-directional operations. I got his permission to post his email here for anyone interested: barry@barrycone.com

Chuck Hackett
Tampa, Florida
misccdh@whitetrout.net
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hey, Chuck, welcome to the group!

Is his track 7-1/2" or 7-1/4"?

Steve
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

7-1/4 I believe.
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Yup, Barry's track is the one that I was talking about.
It's impressive.

Jim B
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

You may want to review some of Barry's grades and curves before committing to operate. Be certain to check out the upstairs of his "train building". Wonderful collection and very amiable person.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."