Ken Shattock

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

dnevil

Ken Shattock

Post by dnevil »

It it with a heavy heart that I report the death of Kenneth V. Shattock, North American Secretary of the International Brotherhood of Live Steamers. Ken passed away Saturday evening, 6 May 2017. No information regarding a memorial service is available at this time.

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... h_Shattock

Please keep Ken's wife Suzi and his family in your prayers.

Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
NP317

Re: Ken Shattock

Post by NP317 »

What a loss for us all!
~RN
squandt

Post by squandt »

The great roundhouse has a new engineer today to watch the fire's and read the order's ,He will be missed.
stay on the shine side of the rail
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Ken was a real interesting guy. I worked with him closely when I did the 75th anniversary article for Live Steam Magazine. He possessed a wealth of knowledge about early West Coast live steamers, and I was encouraging him to work on his book about that subject, to compliment Charles Purinton's Live Steam of Years Gone By, which largely features the East Coast scene. It is unfortunate that it will never happen.

Ken was also fabulously knowledgeable about the Key System, the streetcar system that operated in the East Bay and over the Bay Bridge. He made many, many posts on trainorders.com about that subject.

Ken recognized a fellow hobby history nut and whenever he came across a new old photo, he would email me out of the blue with a 'check this out!' moment. He also cared deeply about Golden Gate Live Steamers and I had many discussions with him privately about the subject.

I am sad to think I'll never get another one of those random emails from him to talk about various and sundry live steam and train subjects. I know he was enjoying getting back into the table-top model railroad hobby and was building a new layout in his home when he passed away.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
B&OBob

Post by B&OBob »

It was very saddening to read of Ken Shattock's untimely passing. As a kindred spirit in appreciation of 2-1/2" gauge, I was especially interested Ken's comments here when he recouinted his experiences in that gauge with his grandfather, Vic and the legendary basement live steam layout. I believe he wrote a book or pamphlet several years ago about those days and I am kicking myself for not obtaining a copy when mentioned by Ken. In another aspect Ken, as a "Telephone Man" (in the old Bell days) was -- by definition -- a rock-solid, knowledgeable expert in his field.

We mourn the loss of another Good Guy!

B&O Bob
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I was encouraging him to work on his book about that subject, to compliment Charles Purinton's Live Steam of Years Gone By...

I had also encouraged Ken to do a book. A few years ago, he actually sent me some ideas he had written down on chapters and topics, and he had a couple of pages of text written out. We talked some, especially by e-mail, and it was usually about the smaller scales and what was happening in that area of the country with it. As I got further into 2 1/2" gauge, 1/2" scale, he and I talked a lot about that. Just a few years ago, he was able to purchase and bring 'home' his grandfather's first Coventry 4-6-2 pacific. He sent me some pictures of it at that time. He told me that all of the 1/2" scale equipment his grandfather built, he had one locomotive stolen (0-6-0), the rest were sold off, and most of the cars and structures on that railroad were either sold or given to relatives. Some of the track and yards were sold, and some of it went to scrap when they had to move out of their home suddenly.

Ken also produced a video on his grandfather's 1/2" scale basement railroad. I have a copy of it.

Hate to hear that he has passed away.