Ridge Locomotive Works is now Ridge Boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Twombo

Re: Ridge Locomotive Works is now Ridge Boiler

Post by Twombo »

Marty, I hear you on the materials cost for copper, especially! I recall the complete kit of materials being being about 1700 bux not including shipping and silver solder. I was tight with the manufacturing technology boss at my community cillege and the plan was to Tig weld it! taking tig classes until I was ready to go at it!!

Great plan, plus, using the machine shop there to turn up all the bronze bushings and bits. Press brakes, and rollers,and shears Oh My! That beautiful hoard sits in my shop still, thanks to a really bad brain bleed!
I will send you a PM . I have a digital copy of Don Young's original drawing. The actual original sheet from Don himself!

I deferred getting the boiler from Western steam due to long lead time. That lead time was 18 months ago. In the last three years I have made good progress on me and the Loco, and am nearly ready to erect the cylinders, drivers and completed frame.

I am not stuck on copper, A steel boiler will suit me fine!
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I had the privilege of meeting Don Young in January 1985. I went to the Model Engineering Exhibition at Wembley, where I met him. He invited me to visit him at his home in Sandown, on the Isle of Wight.
We discussed that very point - copper vs. steel boilers, specifically for Marie Estelle.
Twombo

Post by Twombo »

I had the opportunity to talk to him on the telephone when I lived in germany. I ordered some castings from him, for my loco. Still have the small crate with one side nearly covered with 1 GBP, stamps. "My precious" parts crate!! Got a nice pile of LLAS MAGAZINES TOO! Just leafed throu his catalog the other day. The prices!!
Need to work on that Delorean!! I do recall a similar conversation and his main points being Thermal transfer rates and the relatively low rates of corrosion with copper. He was also very complimentary on my resisting mein frau's resistance to bringing my modest model engineering "kit" to Germany. My Landlord Willi Klein, and I shared his little workshop for two years. Ostensibly practicing our "language skills, rating local beers and discovering whether Mosel, trumps Rhein!!