Future of Superscale Locomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Future of Superscale Locomotive

Post by Steggy »

Jen Carey, who started this topic, hasn't been on Chaski since the latter part of May. That would explain why no updates.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

BUMP!
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steven E. Kuhn

Post by Steven E. Kuhn »

Hi Bill! Why bother bumping it? The website isn't even online anymore. I guess there is always hope.

Steve Kuhn
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Steven E. Kuhn wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:10 pm Hi Bill! Why bother bumping it? The website isn't even online anymore. I guess there is always hope.

Steve Kuhn
Only to see if anyone knows anything about Superscale's disposition. Last we heard, someone was negotiating to take it over.
WJH

Post by WJH »

Who would take it over? A businessman or a craftsman? I hate to be pessimistic, but there’s a reason one man shows don’t usually come back
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

I have tried to communicate with Jen, no response.
I have contacted Barrys brother who told me that the SuperScale business is in the hands of Jen and her lawyer
It seems Barrys real estate property is either for sale or sold, not sure.
If the real estate is sold before the SuperScale business is sold that will add the additional expense of moving and storing the equipment.
Jen and her lawyer have control, I think they do not understand the realistic value of the business.
Barrys two major machine tools are functional but obsolete by contemporary standards and have reached the point where even repair parts and service is questionable.
Barrys CNC lathe has no live tooling which greatly limits its production capability.
Programs for each machine would probably have to be rewritten to operate on newer machines.
There are other people making injectors. When someone comes out with safety valves of Barrys quality then the SuperScale product line will become less valuable.
The longer Jen and her lawyer wait, the less the business will be worth
I do have some good contacts getting investment casting manufactured as well as some good resources in CNC manufacturing. At my age I have no interest in starting new projects, I would rather complete some existing ones.
I would be interesting in helping someone else who wants to produce or reproduce the SuperScale line of products.
WJH

Post by WJH »

It seems to me that the money invested to get this going again, does not have a large enough market to sell to? I could be very wrong about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

You are correct.
How many people are building steam locomotives in 1.5-1.6"scale?
Ask Jim Kreider how many people have started to build his Berkshire, the best detailed and documented engine ever made?
Jim, do not be overwhelmed by my endorsement.
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Considering the investment that would be required to get SuperScale running in addition to the high dollar amount to purchase the business, it makes more financial sense to develop a new product line from scratch. Behold Eccentric Engineer.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Agreed. The cost to update the line would be huge not even including the purchase price.

Just need some muffled safety valves from a supplier!
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

Should these posts be forwarded to Jen Carey?
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

hmm i wonder if Brian Keim's mufflers will fit the Mercer safeties
http://www.keimsteampump.com/uploads/KS ... 2017_b.pdf

as far as the Superscale product line. its quickly becoming obsolete.
I am very happy with my Mercer safeties.
I have one of Eccentric Engineering's injectors, but now installed yet, but hear from others they work just as well as Superscale .
the valves and other fittings are nice enough from places like PMresearch.

the only item that is missing are boiler checks and i understand Mercer has them on the backlog

I am not too worried about the supply of these specific needs for the live steam hobby.
I fear the ship may have sailed for Jen :?
Attachments
Mercer Safeties
Mercer Safeties
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.