Winton Westinghouse 9 1/2" Air Compressor

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

daves1459

Winton Westinghouse 9 1/2" Air Compressor

Post by daves1459 »

I'm building three Winton Brown 1 1/2" scale 9 1/2" Westinghouse air compressors to his original design. I have all of the original castings except for the valve head assembly. I have finished the steam and air cylinder assemblies and am looking into the valve head assembly. Winton was not bashful about making things complicated. However, his design is clever. I've pretty much figured out how to make all of the valve head pieces except for the "valve-block". The valve block is a small piece only .460" long X .231" wide X .311" high. The drawing says it was a bronze casting with ports cored in. The ports are micro in size at only 1/32" wide X 1/8" long and meander around in the valve-block. It is hard to imagine how the casting was made. I think I can come up with a fabrication from solid using carbon rod EDM, however, it would be fussy. So my questions:

1. Does anyone have any valve-block(s) or where there are three? ( A long shot I know, but, I have to ask.)
2. Does anyone know the original Winton source or a possible source?
3. Does anyone know of an alternate design that retains the original Westinghouse valve head appearance? I have several square or block shaped designs. But, I want to retain the original Westinghouse appearance with differential type shuttle valve.
Greg_Lewis

Re: Winton Westinghouse 9 1/2" Air Compressor

Post by Greg_Lewis »

There is a guy in Australia that made some pumps with a good-looking valve head. I'm travelling now but send me a p.m. reminder and I'll look it up when I get home.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Trainman4602

THE SAFETY VALVES ARE COMING

Post by Trainman4602 »

If you on my list to receive safety valves they will be ready for delivery shortly. Just giving everyone a heads up. You will be notified soon.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well, the guy in Australia is Warrick Sandberg, and he sells complete pumps, which is not what Dave is looking for. But here's his website anyway for other folks who are following this thread:

http://www.modelrail.tk/single1_5inch.htm
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Dave Braun at Mammoth Locomotive Works has those pumps. I'm very interested in how your project goes, as I'm considering one of the larger scale Winton pumps, so I'd like to follow your progress closely. Call Mammoth, see what he can help you with, and I'm interested in his responses.
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

I will contact Dave Braun as you suggest and let you know what he has to say. I purchased the 1 1/2" scale castings several years ago from Terry Walshans who led me to believe he had taken over the 1 1/2" product line from Mammoth, at least the Westinghouse pumps. At that time Terry did not have any of the valve head castings. Maybe the situation has changed.

I have a set of castings and prints for the Winton 3" scale Westinghouse pump. Send me a PM if you have any interest. The construction of the steam and water/air cylinder assembly of the 3" scale is very much the same as the 1 1/2". However, the valve head construction of the two pumps is completely different. The 3" is much more of conventional construction.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I've seen the Aussie guy's pumps in person in NZ, they work marvelously. I think a 3" pump is what I saw.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

daves1459 PM sent.

Nyle