Heilan Lassie - fusible plug?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SteveM

Heilan Lassie - fusible plug?

Post by SteveM »

Does anyone have Model Engineer from the late 1940's (or the actual plans for the locomotive) and can you tell me if the firebox for LBSC's Heilan Lassie has a fusible plug?

Steve
James Powell

Re: Heilan Lassie - fusible plug?

Post by James Powell »

I would doubt it. My Britannia doesn't, and the boiler for that is dead to the prints. Why?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

James Powell wrote:Why?
About 40 years ago, my uncle was driving it and all of a sudden steam started coming out.

It's likely that he ran the boiler low.

If there's a fusible plug, then that could be replaced, otherwise, it's going to need a new boiler.

Steve
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Hydro the boiler on the frames? If it won't hold pressure at all then it would be time to strip off the frames, I would think.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

If it has a fusible plug you should be able to see it.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
baggo

Post by baggo »

Another possibility is that the boiler has threaded stays caulked with soft solder as it is obviously quite old. If the water was allowed to get too low then the caulking may have melted causing some of the stays to now leak. If that were to be the case then it wouldn't be a big job to repair it.

John
Secretary of The National 2½" Gauge Association
Member of North West Liecestershire SME

http://www.modeng.johnbaguley.info
darjeeling

Post by darjeeling »

The AMBSC Australian codes stipulate pure tin for fusable plugs, a great safe gaurd for any boiler, especially copper . Pure tin melts at 446F (230c), way below the melting point of most silver solders. I have seen a number of copper boilers fail through lack of water. To repair such a failed boiler requires many hours of work to remedy. In steel boilers with swaged copper or steel tubes it also adds another safety measure.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

SteveM wrote:Does anyone have Model Engineer from the late 1940's (or the actual plans for the locomotive) and can you tell me if the firebox for LBSC's Heilan Lassie has a fusible plug?

Steve
Steve;
The Pioneer Valley Live Steamers big 65th Anniversary meet is coming up in August.
Bring the locomotive out to the meet as there will be a lot of experts attending who can help evaluate the model. That said I am certain that the loco doesn't have a fusible plug as I have never seen one on an LBSC locomotive.
Keith
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I won't be able to bring it yet, but I hope to make it to the meet.

I've been trying to meet you for probably five years now, and we keep missing each other.

The club has a collection of Model Engineer magazine, so I might be able to find the copy I need.

Steve