Hannum 4-4-0?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Adirondack

Hannum 4-4-0?

Post by Adirondack »

Hi folks. Does anyone have additional photos or know more about the Hannum 4-4-0? It is an older design, but I do think it has very pleasant lines. Drawings and castings were available at one time.

It certainly is an excellent alternative to the more typical LBSC "Virginia" on 3 1/2" gauge.

Thanks

ADK
thumbnail_img002.jpg
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
backyardrails

Re: Hannum 4-4-0?

Post by backyardrails »

That was at pioneer Valley Live Steamers. I was there that year. Big Meet.
Bernie
MLS
Shady Pines R.R.
Miserlou57

Post by Miserlou57 »

Looks like as of this moment, Marty Knox is selling a set of drawings and castings on DiscoverLiveSteam. Probably about as close as you're going to get, and the price is right!

"Item being Sold: 1.5 " 4-4-0 drawings and castings Gauge: 7.25", 7.5". Offering a set of drawings and castings for the Rogers-Cooke - Bob Hannum 1.5" scale 4-4-0. I believe everything that R-C sold is there. I can deliver to the Discover Live Steam Convention at Turkeyville. Asking $450."

http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/discov ... /index.htm

I also have one of their catalogs from around 1999 or 2000. I can take a look at it and post whatever is there. IIRC it was specifically a Rogers engine.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Miserlou57 wrote: I also have one of their catalogs from around 1999 or 2000. I can take a look at it and post whatever is there. IIRC it was specifically a Rogers engine.
Actually, it was a Cooke locomotive built in 1886. The locomotive and tender erection drawings are copies of the Cooke originals. The component drawings were done by Bob Hannum between 1964 and 1968. He did a beautiful job on the drawings and locomotive.
Bob Holder bought the patterns and drawings from Bob Hannum. At one time he offered a flame cut frame.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

We don't hear much about New Zealand live steam here on Chaski, however Ikon locomotive, in NZ produces a very nice looking period 4-4-0, named the 'Phanton', very similar to your photo of the Harnum engine.

Here is their web site. Might be worth inquiring about availability of a casting kit.

http://www.ikoneng.com/introduction.htm

Regards,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Glenn

I have the complete Phantom series from Australian Model Engineering mag, and it is a Mogul 2-6-0. A DVD was offered with drawings that could be used with CAM to make frames, running boards, etc. The basic design has been used in Australia and N Z to buil a wide variety of locos, similar to the Allen Mogul here.

Steve
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Steve, any photos?? I looked at video of this engine back in 1995 or thereabouts, when I first discovered live steam. But have never seen one of their builds in person. It looks like a nicely designed locomotive. Surprised and interested in it being used to build a mogul. Natural evolution over the years I suppose. I emailed Ikon today asking about their 3 3/4 scale Shay. Haven't heard back yet, but that is interesting to me as a possible build in 12" gauge.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »