Technology is great

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Re: Technology is great

Post by Harlock »

Cutting up tubing with a laser is a great idea. Does save lots of prep work. Nice job.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
John_S

Post by John_S »

We've got plenty of capacity now on our machines (we have six tube lasers now). Wondering if anyone is interested in some of these in kit form? I can easily adjust the tube size, wall thickness, or OAL of the stand if needed. The leg length can be left extra long for you to cut to length based on the height you need. I made mine to match up with the transport rack that sits in the bed of my truck, 33.3125" long.

If anyone is interested let me know and perhaps we can come up with a standard cart that works for more than just one person -- this would save on material cost if they're all from the same size tube. I would provide everything except the casters which I would also leave up to you to choose.

Ballpark number, without shipping, to do a pair of stands exactly as I did right now is around $230.00.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Very cool!
I have access to a 2D laser plate table and CAD and have been enjoying these for my backyard RR build.
It's wonderful to be able to tab stuff together, simply draw it with a few thou clearance and things go together like lego's.
John_S

Post by John_S »

FYI, I re-worked this up out of 11ga (.120 wall) tube for extra strength and it comes out only $40 more per set of two stands.

I also have modified the joint between the legs and the rails to have a little better meet-up. I found that when I welded my first two together the ends of the rails that extend beyond the legs wound up pulling downwards a little bit.
Attachments
legR2.JPG
railR2.JPG
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

John_S wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:37 am I found that when I welded my first two together the ends of the rails that extend beyond the legs wound up pulling downwards a little bit.
This is hard to get rid of, the welded side will always shrink unfortunately. If you were to use two different sizes of tube, and have one go through the other and weld on both sides it would stay straight.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:26 pm
John_S wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:37 am I found that when I welded my first two together the ends of the rails that extend beyond the legs wound up pulling downwards a little bit.
This is hard to get rid of, the welded side will always shrink unfortunately. If you were to use two different sizes of tube, and have one go through the other and weld on both sides it would stay straight.
You can also "relax" the welds by heating the area to a dull red with the torch and let it cool. I've used this technique in years past while building drag car frames and cages.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D