Fire watch, solid fuel run at Train Mountain?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

Re: Fire watch, solid fuel run at Train Mountain?

Post by DianneB »

Fender wrote:Sparks? What sparks? I don't see any sparks.
Whatthehell was burning, sawdust??!!
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Pretty awesome! I assume that was coal?

David
Fender

Post by Fender »

DianneB wrote:
Fender wrote:Sparks? What sparks? I don't see any sparks.
Whatthehell was burning, sawdust??!!
My guess is that they are burning slack (fine) coal, hand-fired. On a steep grade. And probably no spark arrester.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Fender, I don't think you are helping the argument for coal here. But luckily we can still burn it a Mid South.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Looks awesome when it breaks traction though
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Fender

Post by Fender »

Pipescs wrote:Fender, I don't think you are helping the argument for coal here. But luckily we can still burn it a Mid South.
Just adding a little levity to a contentious subject. ;-)
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Quite a video. What’s amazing is that every coal burner in the hobby puts out these spark showers, scaled down a bit, every minute they are in operation. We just don’t see it in the day time, but it’s always there. Quite a show after dark!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Andrew Pugh

Post by Andrew Pugh »

I dunno...I only watched the first couple passes, and it looked to me like perhaps they were sanding the flues...
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Quite a video. What’s amazing is that every coal burner in the hobby puts out these spark showers, scaled down a bit, every minute they are in operation. We just don’t see it in the day time, but it’s always there. Quite a show after dark!
You're right. Our smaller stuff puts out lots of sparks, especially at night.

We may be running miniature steam locomotives but the physics have not scaled down. An ember will burn for however long it will burn. However we are comparing a 1/8 scale locomotive to a full size locomotive. The distance an ember travels through the flue, and up the stack on a 1/8 scale locomotive is 1/8 that of the distance it'll travel on a full size locomotive. As such, the ember could easily be extinguished in the time it takes to reach the blast nozzle of a full size locomotive. Then you have spark arrestors, ash screens, etc.... on the full size locomotives, a lot of features that the smaller scales don't have.

I've heard folks say that they want to build a locomotive so they can take it to Train Mountain. Cool. I guess that means you're gonna build it to fire on propane or oil? "No... Coal!" Ah, so no TM for you....

I'll stick with my 1" and head up to St. Croix for a grand time!

-Mike
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Mike Walsh wrote:
Glenn Brooks wrote:Quite a video. What’s amazing is that every coal burner in the hobby puts out these spark showers, scaled down a bit, every minute they are in operation. We just don’t see it in the day time, but it’s always there. Quite a show after dark!
You're right. Our smaller stuff puts out lots of sparks, which is especially visible at night.

We may be running miniature steam locomotives but the physics have not scaled down. An ember will burn for however long it will burn. However we are comparing a 1/8 scale locomotive to a full size locomotive. The distance an ember travels through the flue, and up the stack on a 1/8 scale locomotive is 1/8 that of the distance it'll travel on a full size locomotive. As such, the ember could easily be extinguished in the time it takes to reach the blast nozzle of a full size locomotive. Then you have spark arrestors, ash screens, etc.... on the full size locomotives, a lot of features that the smaller scales don't have.

I've heard folks say that they want to build a locomotive so they can take it to Train Mountain. Cool. I guess that means you're gonna build it to fire on propane or oil? "No... Coal!" Ah, so no TM for you....

-Mike
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

You're right. Our smaller stuff puts out lots of sparks, which is especially visible at night.

-Mike
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Mike Walsh wrote:
A couple points Mike. There has been at least one fall meet at St Croix where it was so dry we banned coal burners for that meet, so call before you come. One meet out of 90 or so though, so the odds are with you. Secondly, TM also does not allow oil burners, it is propane-only at this time.
John Brock