Help Identifying & Valuing Train

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

MysteryTrain

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Post by MysteryTrain »

Fred_V wrote:I don't know what to tell you; maybe others here can suggest something. You can look through the listings on that web site and see what prices are there. I know of several newly built large engines that sold for 25K; smaller ones go for less. Also look on the "sold" page.
https://www.discoverlivesteam.com/disco ... .5sold.htm

I'm not sure how I missed your reply, but thanks, I'll look into that.
MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

LVRR2095 wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:

Thanks Fred,
What do you think my initial asking price should be?
Something is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. First off you need to know if the locomotive is actually 7 - 1/4" gauge or 7 - 1/2" gauge as that will determine your market. Also without a tender and no place to test steam the locomotive a buyer would be taking a gamble on whether or not it is operable.

If you ask too high a price you will scare off prospective buyers. I think your best bet is to solicit offers and see what happens. It is a really neat model, but not really practical for running at clubs where there would be a lot of traffic. Having a single large driver it will be limited in the amount of weight it can haul. And it will tend to be a slippery beastie.
Keith

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've posted some pictures below, and now I'm fairly sure (unless someone corrects me) that its a 7.5.
MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Fred_V wrote:I noticed from the photos that the water glass is missing. You should try to replace that and then see if you can hook up a water hose to it and at least see if it will hold water or not. Other wise a buyer will figure it needs a boiler and price will drop to near nothing.
I'll look into that. Thanks.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

This is a very uncommon engine in the area and gauge, and would be a wonderful project for someone to complete. As it is incomplete and in unknown operating condition with an unknown builder, I would set the price reasonably. I think $7,000 would be a good place to start. If there are no takers, drop it to $5k.

Best,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
JJG Koopmans

Post by JJG Koopmans »

To give an idea about a working one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-fVTjv70tI
kind regards
Jos Koopmans
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Too bad he didn't put foot pegs on it rather than mucking up the paint job with his hobnailed boots. There is another one following that one that i quite nice too.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Harlock wrote:This is a very uncommon engine in the area and gauge, and would be a wonderful project for someone to complete. As it is incomplete and in unknown operating condition with an unknown builder, I would set the price reasonably. I think $7,000 would be a good place to start. If there are no takers, drop it to $5k.

Best,

-Mike

Hi Mike,

After speaking with Jim from DLS, we're going to price it at $5,000 USD. It may be leaving some money on the table, but if the sale happens quickly, it'll make everyone happy.
MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

JJG Koopmans wrote:To give an idea about a working one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-fVTjv70tI
kind regards
Jos Koopmans

That's a pretty cool video - first I've seen of this style in action.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I will actually be surprised if you sell it for $5000. The best thing out there to compare it to size-wise would be the Little Engines 4-4-0 American, which is actually going to be a little bit more powerful than what you have because of its 4-4-0 wheel arrangement. From what I've seen over the past several years, these tend to go for around $5000 to around $8500 completed and in full running condition along with the tender. You'll see someone asking more than that for one of these, but they usually hang around on the for sale pages for a long time, which means they're priced too high. Someone may ask more if they have extra cars, display tracks, etc... to go along with the running locomotive.

in my opinion- and this is my opinion ONLY- The best you'll probably be able to get for this locomotive as-is would be $3500. Again, without a hydro test and with no tender, etc... The value is going to be very limited. As others have mentioned before, a 6-2-0 Crampton, while an interesting and very unique locomotive, won't be a very good model to actually go out and play trains with, due mostly to it's small size and very limited traction. Most likely, whoever buys it is going to want it more for a mantle-piece display. Hopefully someone will buy it and will fix and finish it out so it can get the admiration it deserves. It is a nice model, but is not at all a practical locomotive for most club tracks in 7 1/2" gauge.

A few years ago, Ken Shattock tried to sell his grandfather Vic's 1" scale Crampton. Granted this was in 1" scale, but the locomotive was complete and also included the tender and a riding car. He was asking $6000 for it. I do not believe it ever sold.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Wow, Personally I think the loco is a marvelous and distinctly build - historically significant and very much a show piece - unique amongst the three or four more common style loco's that almost everyone else builds.

Seems like Koopman's video is a very good selling tool. You might consider adding the u tube link to your for sale advert. Also a bit of description about the historical significance of the model. Someone who buys this will appreciate the historical distinction and the superb quality of the builders work.

You know, a hydro test is not be a big deal. Just ask some one from the Vancouver club to do a test for you. It would certainly add to value to have test results.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Pontiacguy1 wrote:I will actually be surprised if you sell it for $5000. The best thing out there to compare it to size-wise would be the Little Engines 4-4-0 American, which is actually going to be a little bit more powerful than what you have because of its 4-4-0 wheel arrangement. From what I've seen over the past several years, these tend to go for around $5000 to around $8500 completed and in full running condition along with the tender. You'll see someone asking more than that for one of these, but they usually hang around on the for sale pages for a long time, which means they're priced too high. Someone may ask more if they have extra cars, display tracks, etc... to go along with the running locomotive.

in my opinion- and this is my opinion ONLY- The best you'll probably be able to get for this locomotive as-is would be $3500. Again, without a hydro test and with no tender, etc... The value is going to be very limited. As others have mentioned before, a 6-2-0 Crampton, while an interesting and very unique locomotive, won't be a very good model to actually go out and play trains with, due mostly to it's small size and very limited traction. Most likely, whoever buys it is going to want it more for a mantle-piece display. Hopefully someone will buy it and will fix and finish it out so it can get the admiration it deserves. It is a nice model, but is not at all a practical locomotive for most club tracks in 7 1/2" gauge.

A few years ago, Ken Shattock tried to sell his grandfather Vic's 1" scale Crampton. Granted this was in 1" scale, but the locomotive was complete and also included the tender and a riding car. He was asking $6000 for it. I do not believe it ever sold.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Thanks for the insight. You clearly know a lot more about this than myself.

That said, I trust the opinion of Jim from DLS and will price it at $5,000 USD. If it doesn't sell, I'll lower accordingly.

I suppose this isn't the train for everyone, but I'm sure I'll find someone who appreciates it.

Chris
MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Wow, Personally I think the loco is a marvelous and distinctly build - historically significant and very much a show piece - unique amongst the three or four more common style loco's that almost everyone else builds.

Seems like Koopman's video is a very good selling tool. You might consider adding the u tube link to your for sale advert. Also a bit of description about the historical significance of the model. Someone who buys this will appreciate the historical distinction and the superb quality of the builders work.

You know, a hydro test is not be a big deal. Just ask some one from the Vancouver club to do a test for you. It would certainly add to value to have test results.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn,

I agree that putting the Youtube video in is a great idea.

I'll also try reaching out to the Vancouver club.

Chris