Aligning Front Tubesheet

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Aligning Front Tubesheet

Post by Bill Shields »

Just measure from the face of the tube to the sheet.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi Bill,

Sounds good. The spec for the tube sheet is 7.00 inches from the smokebox face. I'm just a little concerned about gravity causing the sheet to sag out of perpendicular with the barrel. I don't want to get into trouble when I put the last tubes in and find out I used up all of my tolerance
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

you can always tap the sheet back in place after you put in the last tube(s) if you don't want to tack in place before doing anything.

put the tubes in the 'corners' in last and reach through from the firebox with a long rod and tap as needed to attain alignment.

in reality, it is not that critical.

Yes, a misalignment will affect anything you have attached to the sheet (like a flange and / or throttle valve...but remember, you are building a boiler, not a watch.
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi Bill,

Sounds good. I got the front sheet all welded in and the tubes all fit fine. Can you advise on the maximum projection if the tubes from the tube sheets to get them properly rolled in? All of my tubes ended up on the long side. I can imagine it's more critical on the firebox end if things

Regards,

-jlakes85
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Hopefully you ran a reamer through the holes after you welded the sheets in place...oval tube holes when rolling are an invite for problems.

This projection depends on the dimensions of the collar on your specific roller.

TYPICAL values are in the ball park of 1/16 of an inch, but the collar recess clearly controls the maximum tube protrusion (or non-protrusion if you choose flush).

If you look at the attached Elliott web page, you can see that collars are offered for tubes ranging from FLUSH to depth steps (tube protrusions) in 1/64". TCWilson has similar offerings.

http://www.elliott-tool.com/24-series/

The roller / collar I use for most of my work has a 1/8" recess.

Protrusion is not so critical unless you are planning on seal welding after rolling.
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Sounds good. The holes were all chased with a 0.755 reamer. I figured I can get the 1/16 spacing on the firebox side and deal with the 1/2 inch on the smokebox side. The tubes are copper as well and I believe I have the 1/16 close clearance collar in the TC Wilson roller I bought
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Ive got the tubes all rolled in and am now chasing and eliminating minor leaks. Ive also noticed that some of the tube leaks that were fixed and eliminated at 60 psi air are now starting to reappear at 90 as fine/foamy leaks when hit with soapy water. Should I start to be concerned or is this a normal part of the process?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I don't like to start with leaks

With copper tubes, you may need to roll just a little bit more. MEASURE the ID of the holes that are leaking and see if perchance you didn't quite roll them the desires...8% or so.

The alternative is to let it sit with water in it and expect the leaky area to 'rust up'....but then you can have real problems if you need to roll a bit more since you now have a 'dirty hole' and getting a leak to seal becomes more of a problem.
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Sounds good..I have the roller back out and should get to them tomorrow. I did all of them by hand using just a ratchet and extension setup as I was worried about over rolling
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Almost forgot to ask: is it still pretty easy to over roll the flues even if you're doing it by hand?
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Got the tubes rolled in a bit more and everything held, no leak, at 120 psi air. Almost ready for water