PRR K4s with Front End Trottles

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SP&S700

PRR K4s with Front End Trottles

Post by SP&S700 »

A few years ago I purchased a rolling PRR K4 frame from 110HLW. I've collected a few K4 parts, tender truck casting etc. At first inspection I was very impressed with the machine work. After several years of study, I still have the same conclusion. K4 was not my first choice. At first I wanted to model a SP P series 4-6-2 like the 2472. NP Q-6 was also considered. I wanted to model certain check list items such as big boiler-ed engine, modern cross head, front end throttle, and Big Jugs. Due to future plans for construction of a certain engine, I've decided to continue with my K4 frame and make a K4. As a kid I really wanted a Bowser K4. At age 8 I'm not sure if I knew a Hudson from a Pacific. The front end of a modern K4 is quite striking. So I'm looking for a few specific K4s. I'm looking for pictures of the K4s with Front End Throttles numbers 612, 1985, 3847, 5405, 5481 and 5484. I would prefer not to have the poppet or Franklin valve gear engines (but still interested if sharp and good detail), unless someone has pictures of one of these converted to Walsherts. Bottom line willing to pay for clear pictures of both sides.
Thanks
Clint
Attachments
4-6-2 Kr.jpg
FLtenwheeler

Re: PRR K4s with Front End Trottles

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi

I have purchased some great photographs from Bill at http://www.billspennsyphotos.com/classhijklm.htm

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Thanks Tim
Will check it out

Clint
Moron

Post by Moron »

Hi Clint, the front end k4’s were called “K4sa”. They featured circulators, front end throttle, and much bigger diameter valves. The front end throttles were not like your typical superpowered engines, they were located in a very big, very ugly rectangular box located on top of the smokebox, with the smokestack poking out of the middle of it. There has been one k4sa that I know of built in 1.5, number 612 in its “pre-war” configuration without the front end throttle, but it did include the larger piston valves and it is an excellent runner as well as an extremely well detailed Loco. I am planning one day to do #1985 in its fully modern configuration as it used to run by my house along the Northern Central. 2 of the “sa’s” had disc drivers, though I don’t know which ones. The poppet valve engines I am pretty sure were classified k4s for some reason. Don’t quote me on that though. I wish you luck with this project!
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Thanks for the history on the 612. I didn't know about the circulators. Did they have wash out plugs hidden or exposed from the jacket? Your lucky to have seen real steam in its day.

Thanks

Clint
Moron

Post by Moron »

SP&S700 wrote:Thanks for the history on the 612. I didn't know about the circulators. Did they have wash out plugs hidden or exposed from the jacket? Your lucky to have seen real steam in its day.

Thanks

Clint
Haha unfortunately I did not see active steam, but know of it through research. One of my machinist mentors however grew up in Sunbury PA in the mid 40’s and saw tons of pennsy steam everyday.(the tracks ran through the town) The stories he tells about it are amazing. What a time to be alive. And yes, I believe the washout plugs were visible through the jacketing. Lots of great “Jewelry “ on the SA’s
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Perhaps it goes without my saying, K4sa #612 was one of the last to operate in New Jersey, at the close of steam. Quite a distinctive locomotive in appearance.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
110HLW

Post by 110HLW »

Clint, I am glad you are happy with my workmanship. I worked on that frame on and off for 30 years. Corey
The LORD first, family second, than live Steam --------and life will be good!
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Corey
You are more than welcome. Machine work of trailing truck out of solid steel great work!
Sent you a long PM don't fall asleep reading it unless you have insomnia.

I've decided on the 612 as others have stated it was the last fan run, and I have a soft spot for last fan run steam engines with front end throttles.

So if anyone has pictures they would like to sell/give that have good detail of the 612 side views (no 7/8 or 3/4 well maybe those too) after 1937 I'm interested.

Thanks again
Clint
110HLW

Post by 110HLW »

Clint, I have no pm in my inbox?
The LORD first, family second, than live Steam --------and life will be good!
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Corey
You are 100% right. Back to the drawing board. Its not in Drafts. So will try again.
Thanks
Clint