Steam Hose?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, cbrew

DianneB

Steam Hose?

Post by DianneB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 am

Has anyone found a source for 1/4" ID 100 PSI steam hose that has a thin cross-section?

All I can find are very thick wall.

FLSTEAM

Re: Steam Hose?

Post by FLSTEAM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 am

I use hydraulic hose, but that has a thick cross section.

John B
http://www.ngshay.com/
Shay drawings and castings

AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:34 pm

I have not personally tried this nor am I necessarily recommending this, but it looks promising:

PTFE stainless braided tubing from 3/16" to 1".
Rated for continuous use up to 400° and evidently bursts at 12,000psi. OD is notably smaller than fuel line or hydraulic hose.

http://www.hoseandfittings.com/bah-sae-100r14-hose/

dash9

Post by dash9 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Just be VERY careful where you buy hose. I am a parker distributor for 50 years. In the last 15 years i have seen hose for sale
lets say 3/8" My cost 6.25 a foot retail 9.75 a foot Parker TC471 rated 5000 working 20000 burst. I always see on craigslist or e bay selling 3/8" hose 3.25 a ft. 5000 Psi. Was at a meeting a few years back and people brought in hose to test. The cheap on line hose would leak at the crimp fitting at 4000 PSi and blow apart at 6500. Im not in the shop now but will check Thursday
for a parker part number.

squandt

Post by squandt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Worked in Thermoforming plastic for 15 year's,we used s/s braided covered HDPE tubing to make up air lines that were into and out of oven's on sheetcar that went up to 950 deg for up to 10 min,@ 100 psi of air pressure.We got the tubing and fitting's from McMaster Carr,made up are own hoses to any size we needed.The lines were to clamp bar's that held the plastic sheet to be heated and formed. Never had a hose burst or leak,fitting would get damaged sometimes.
stay on the shine side of the rail

Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:51 am

Dianne... Have you tried fuel injection hose? Usually, conventional fuel injection systems run around 65 to 70 PSI, so the hoses are made to take a lot higher pressure. I've used 5/16" fuel injection hose for the connection between my locomotive and tender for about 15 years now. It is still working good and hasn't been replaced. It gets full boiler pressure too on the one hose in the axle pump return line. At the auto parts place, they sell regular fuel hose, and then also fuel injection hose, so make sure you see what you are getting.

DianneB

Post by DianneB » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 am

Pontiacguy1 wrote:Dianne... Have you tried fuel injection hose?
No I haven't - I will check that out.

James Powell

Post by James Powell » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 pm

I would second the choice of hose thing. Don't cheap out...

Because 4 of my fellow sailors learned the hardest way what can happen when you decide to misuse flex hose.

https://s0.whitepages.com.au/d73ef9ce-8 ... cument.pdf

James

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm

careful...100 psi steam may well be beyond what you want to put in a hose not specifically rated for steam.

I have used PTFE tube, covered in stainless steel braid successfully...very similar to what Squandt suggested

not a $$$ solution but one that is good for decades...

10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:59 pm

We used the parker Teflon with stainless outer braid for two phase steam up to 400 deg F in products where I worked, after 40,000 hours its burst pressure was as good as a new hose. It may not bend as tight as you wish. Burst failures were always at the joint to the fittings in test hoses.

cbrew

Post by cbrew » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 am

DianneB wrote:
Pontiacguy1 wrote:Dianne... Have you tried fuel injection hose?
No I haven't - I will check that out.
I have successfully used .25 id fuel injection line also feeding the tender booster truck. but the duty cycle is not that high so i am not sure how it will hold up under sustained usage with steam.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.

[url=http://chris.brewfamily.info][color=red][u][b]Visit my website here.[/b][/u][/color][/url]

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:57 am

CBREW:

very clear observation on your part

the problem with steam in rubber hose is not always temperature or pressure, but with the cutting action of steam on the interior surface of the hose...remember that steam moves at supersonic speeds and does things very differently than simple high pressure liquids.

if / (when) the steam finds a surface imperfection and cuts into the rubber, it will start to peel and the cutting action accelerates and before long you have a failure - not because of pressure or temperature, but because of abrasion

You / others may not ever see this, but it is a design engineer's concern and a reason why steam hose is steam hose and not fuel injection hose.

It is like brass / bronze / zinc / stainless / etc in boiler service. The reality is there and should be considered.

These are just some of the reasons why the ASME codes and other standards are around - to help keep people from hurting / killing themselves.

A fitting or hose that blows off a boiler and completely dumps everything out to the side is a very dangerous situation....

"NO WORRIES...I HAVE A VALVE ON THAT"..right....

Ever stuck your hand INTO a steam jet with (maybe) nothing but cotton gloves on and tried to close a multi-turn valve handle?

Stand next to someone opening a blow-down valve some time and see if you can reach in and shut off the lever...

It's an eye-opener....