Steam Loco accessories: Compound Air Pump, Turbo Generator, Air Distribution Valve

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dor_Crank

Steam Loco accessories: Compound Air Pump, Turbo Generator, Air Distribution Valve

Post by Dor_Crank »

Can anyone point me to prototype drawings with dimensions for:

1. Westinghouse Compound Air Pump

2. Pyle Turbo Generator, MO-6 with or without cover

3. Westinghouse Air Distribution Valve

The Air Distribution valve is that square piece that goes just under the cab at the rear end (photo of #460
attached). The back end of the valve is cylindrical shaped. A casting drawing by PSC for 0-scale (not 1/32)
ADV is at:

item 4489 pg80 at:

https://www.precisionscaleco.com/wp-con ... am-WOP.pdf

At above catalog, just type in 80 at top left to save scrolling time.

I'm trying to make correct 1/32 scale model of these 3 items or buy them for 1/32 scale. At this time,
I know PSC makes 1/32 scale compound air pump but i do not know their dimensions are correct. They do
not make the other two of 1/32 scale but of 1/24th.

So, please provide or point me to prototype drawings w dimensions of above 3 items.

Thx!
Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Steam Loco accessories: Compound Air Pump, Turbo Generator, Air Distribution Valve

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I believe the Locomotive Cyclopedia in 1931 had that information

Here is a 1941 version but that may be too modern as Diesels were coming in

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/ti ... a/kw/1941/

Rich
Dor_Crank

Re: Steam Loco accessories: Compound Air Pump, Turbo Generator, Air Distribution Valve

Post by Dor_Crank »

Thank you Rich for pointing out the book. Bit pricy at over $50. I googled and there was no site where they show content
of the book, esp. those 3 items. There must be drawings of those, esp for the pump and turbo gen since several
1.5"/1.6" scaled castings are available. I'll try asking the suppliers in live stm mags or at least, assuming their's are correctly
scaled, ask them to take dimensions off? They maybe too lazy or worry i make better ones? I won't. For me, they're just ornaments
in smaller scale if i can't buy off correctly scaled ones from PSC.
Dor_Crank

Post by Dor_Crank »

By being in fog head Sr moment, i posted the same question here today. But i'll attach same photos here for convenience
of the 3 items.

The air distribution valve on the E6s #460 at Strassburg, PA is at the bottom of the cab's top rear corner. It has a cylinder
behind all those square ugly face. And, u can c the air filter to the right of it. PSC has the filter in 1/32 scale but their
Dist. valve is of 1/24th scale, much too big for my model.
IMG_7028 Original Air Pump.JPG
IMG_7029 Original  Turbo-Generator.JPG
IMG_7011 broad Lft frnt.JPG
Dor_Crank

Post by Dor_Crank »

oh dear, got same photos twice.

try again. :( Here's that air distribution valve photo attached.

Well, "preview" button didn't show attached file. Try again: Attachement --> Add File --> go find my
photo file --> Hit Open --> see green progress bar --> wait till grn goes away --> hit submit

Did it work?
Dor_Crank

Post by Dor_Crank »

Looks like it failed to attach photos.

Oh, just please help get dimensioned drawings.
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Cross compound drawings here.

http://www.grandscales.com/crosscomp/CrossComp1of3.pdf

http://www.grandscales.com/crosscomp/CrossComp2of3.pdf

http://www.grandscales.com/crosscomp/CrossComp3of3.pdf

Some of the figures are dimensioned. Use MS Paint or something similar to convert scans to your required scale. I do it all the time in DeltaCad.

Steve
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I've misplaced my copy of the 1941 Locomotive Cyclopedia. My recollection is that it has a small MO-6 drawing and the mounting bolt spacing is dimensioned. I think 1931 has the same drawing.
apm

Post by apm »

Google eBooks has the 1922 and 1906 locomotive cyclopedia for free, but dimensions are almost always the issue. I don't understand why either as far as I can tell it looked like the cyclopedias were very much the trade catalogs of the day. I would think some overall dimensions would go a long way in helping the end user figuring out if he had space to stick the thing on their locomotive. Heck even one or two dimensions just to give one something to scale off of would usually be a huge help.

Adam
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Seems most dimensions were left off of published drawings just to keep things top secret and proprietary. Unless one actually bought the part or appliance for their locomotive, complete drawings were rare indeed. This is why the railroads would often disassemble new parts bought from outside suppliers and put the drafting room employees to work. Then complete sets of company drawings were sent to all of the shops so the parts could be replicated as needed. Otherwise, one was forced to purchase parts from the original supplier if they wanted the wore out or damaged appliance to be useful for the operation of the locomotive. With no spare parts to be had a century later, the restoration programs struggle to make new parts needed to keep steam operational. Most have no clue what efforts the machinists at these operations experience each day to achieve the goal of restoration and operation.

The distributing valve and dual chamber reservoir is a major under cab detail which can be intimidating even in full size. I believe Jack Bodenmann used to offer this bit of detail at one time. It was a work of art and well worth the investment if one wants that kind of detail.
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Lets try this for the No. 6 Distributing Valve. Part of this is from the 14-EL book, same valve, just feet up or feet down. One dimensioned drawing, use that to dimension the other drawings from the diameter of the "pig."

Steve
Attachments
No 6 dist valve 1_Page_1.jpg
No 6 dist valve 1_Page_2.jpg
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Page two
Attachments
No 6 dist valve 2_Page_1.jpg
No 6 dist valve 2_Page_2.jpg