Machining Split Bearings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, cbrew

jlakes85

Machining Split Bearings

Post by jlakes85 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:28 am

Hi All,

In the last I've soft soldered the blanks together before doing the final boring and machining operations. Would loctite 609/638 be able to perform the same function, without the hassle of having the two halves float around while hot?

-jlakes85

John Hasler

Re: Machining Split Bearings

Post by John Hasler » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:21 am

638 is only good to 300F. Higher melting point solder? But what do you mean by "floating around while hot"? Whlie machining?

jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 am

Hi John,

I was referring to the point where the rough bearing castings are sawn apart, cleaned up in the mill, then as they're soft soldered together, they have a tendency to float around during the liquidous phase. Keith Appleton did a video on YouTube showing how this can be an issue. I was wondering if it might be easier to use one of the green high strength loctites to achieve same

cbrew

Post by cbrew » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 am

Morning

its clear we do not have the full story,
assuming these are axle boxes. why not use locating pins/screws to locate the two half's during machining and while they are in service?
or if surface area is limited. one can machine up a fixture that can secure the two half's until the boring procedure is complete.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.

[url=http://chris.brewfamily.info][color=red][u][b]Visit my website here.[/b][/u][/color][/url]

NP317

Post by NP317 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 am

I do not see any reason why a LocTite adhesive could not be used as described.
Just make sure it is a low-temp mix, for easy separation post-machining.
~RN

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:41 am

jlakes85 wrote:Hi John,

I was referring to the point where the rough bearing castings are sawn apart, cleaned up in the mill, then as they're soft soldered together, they have a tendency to float around during the liquidous phase. Keith Appleton did a video on YouTube showing how this can be an issue. I was wondering if it might be easier to use one of the green high strength loctites to achieve same
I see. Why not use superglue (the thin kind)? It'll give you a thinner and more consistent glue line. 638 is a gap filler. You'll want to lightly sand the surfaces for any glue.

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:02 pm

do it all the time with Loctite...

also put an air line at the chuck / collet to keep things cool...or flush coolant if you have it.

another way is to put a radial pin in each bearing and in the fixture. Drill the bearing through the diameter before you saw it in half (old car bearing trick).

NP317

Post by NP317 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Bill Shields wrote:[snip]
another way is to put a radial pin in each bearing and in the fixture. Drill the bearing through the diameter before you saw it in half (old car bearing trick).
I can't picture what you are suggesting. More explanation, please? I'd like to understand.
~RN