Machining Split Bearings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jlakes85

Machining Split Bearings

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi All,

In the last I've soft soldered the blanks together before doing the final boring and machining operations. Would loctite 609/638 be able to perform the same function, without the hassle of having the two halves float around while hot?

-jlakes85
John Hasler

Re: Machining Split Bearings

Post by John Hasler »

638 is only good to 300F. Higher melting point solder? But what do you mean by "floating around while hot"? Whlie machining?
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi John,

I was referring to the point where the rough bearing castings are sawn apart, cleaned up in the mill, then as they're soft soldered together, they have a tendency to float around during the liquidous phase. Keith Appleton did a video on YouTube showing how this can be an issue. I was wondering if it might be easier to use one of the green high strength loctites to achieve same
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Morning

its clear we do not have the full story,
assuming these are axle boxes. why not use locating pins/screws to locate the two half's during machining and while they are in service?
or if surface area is limited. one can machine up a fixture that can secure the two half's until the boring procedure is complete.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I do not see any reason why a LocTite adhesive could not be used as described.
Just make sure it is a low-temp mix, for easy separation post-machining.
~RN
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

jlakes85 wrote:Hi John,

I was referring to the point where the rough bearing castings are sawn apart, cleaned up in the mill, then as they're soft soldered together, they have a tendency to float around during the liquidous phase. Keith Appleton did a video on YouTube showing how this can be an issue. I was wondering if it might be easier to use one of the green high strength loctites to achieve same
I see. Why not use superglue (the thin kind)? It'll give you a thinner and more consistent glue line. 638 is a gap filler. You'll want to lightly sand the surfaces for any glue.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

do it all the time with Loctite...

also put an air line at the chuck / collet to keep things cool...or flush coolant if you have it.

another way is to put a radial pin in each bearing and in the fixture. Drill the bearing through the diameter before you saw it in half (old car bearing trick).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Bill Shields wrote:[snip]
another way is to put a radial pin in each bearing and in the fixture. Drill the bearing through the diameter before you saw it in half (old car bearing trick).
I can't picture what you are suggesting. More explanation, please? I'd like to understand.
~RN