LITTLE ENGINES

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Comstock-Friend

Re: LITTLE ENGINES

Post by Comstock-Friend »

Dick_Morris wrote:I built a RRSC CP-173 and have a set of Drawings for the Disney version. While they both have the same prototype, they are very different locomotives. The Disney version is a more complex design and has more detail.
Dick, please check your PM's. I have a similar project (CP173/V&T #18 Dayton) I'd like to discuss with you.

John Friend
paralleler

Post by paralleler »

First my thanks to Mike, Steve, those preserving our heritage, and those having morals.

Two points I'd like to add are legacy and design changes. I recently became the caretaker of the Dave Gumz 4-6-0 built from castings and drawings by Warren Weston. Sadly the locomotive did not come with drawings and maintenance will be required. Fortunately a friend from the Golden Gate Live Steamers (GGLS) gave me two boxes filled with Modeltec magazines and said they're in there. Dig, dig, dig and I found 25 issues discussing the build with many drawings. I also found an advertisement for Warren and I gave him a call. Turns out he had had a stroke, the family downsized, and apparently all the drawings and patterns were tossed. Groan... (ref. thread: Dave Gumz' 4-6-0 4-3/4" Narrow Gauge).

Second is design changes. A few years back I purchased a partially built Little Engines 0-4-0T from an estate; Burt Miller had begun construction on it around the late 1980s. The piping was beyond my ability and I took it to a "locomotive works" to be completed (that's another story). The builder followed the supplied throttle drawings but then discovered the 0-4-0T had a smaller diameter smoke box. He said that's okay, he'd shorten pipes and make it fit. The problem with that idea was the throttle could only be full open or full closed. One good thing was that the builder had a good rapport with Mike of Little Engines who basically said, "Oh yeah, there's a new drawing" (2002 vs. 1982). Fortunately Mike sent the drawing and third time was a charm. Once again, thank you Mike! Fortunately I made sure to pick up the drawings when I took delivery.

There are those of us old enough to remember Napster and those having morals. An acquaintance at work used to call me a fool for spending a $1/song on iTunes rather than stealing it with Napster. The legal system caught up with Napster but that took a lot of money. Companies like Little Engines and Allen Models possibly don't have the deep pockets like Sony, et. al. Morals & ethics, something a few need to learn about.

"History makes you smart, heritage makes you proud", "To Infinity & Beyond!" and have a safe & prosperous new year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkP7l8Jyi2s
RICHK

Post by RICHK »

Hello all,
First of all please read my request.
I am not looking for drawing information.
My question concerned the pricing of plan sets.
This came about as a result of an inquiry into one of my drawing packages which seemed to have a problem with a price.

I am well aware of Little Engines policies and I have plenty of drawing work to do based on valid information sources other than that one. So I do not need to "copy" anything.
Also if any of you have a question then drop me an e-mail. Innuendos do not further understanding or the hobby.
Furthermore I use modern (and expensive) 3D software to produce documentation which is far beyond what was done in the days of manual, pencil drawing, In this regard I bring new information to the hobby.
Also please bear in mind that plan sets are not a big money making undertaking. The real money is in the castings.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

RICHK wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 pm Also please bear in mind that plan sets are not a big money making undertaking. The real money is in the castings.
Actually it's quite the opposite, at least for Allen Models. Most of Allen Model's income is from drawings. Many more people buy drawings than go on to purchase castings and build a locomotive. In a way, those dreamers support the smaller number of people that go on to build, as producing castings and maintaining patterns is very resource intensive.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

RICHK wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 pm Hello all,
First of all please read my request.
I am not looking for drawing information.
My question concerned the pricing of plan sets.
This came about as a result of an inquiry into one of my drawing packages which seemed to have a problem with a price.

I am well aware of Little Engines policies and I have plenty of drawing work to do based on valid information sources other than that one. So I do not need to "copy" anything.
Also if any of you have a question then drop me an e-mail. Innuendos do not further understanding or the hobby.
Furthermore I use modern (and expensive) 3D software to produce documentation which is far beyond what was done in the days of manual, pencil drawing, In this regard I bring new information to the hobby.
Also please bear in mind that plan sets are not a big money making undertaking. The real money is in the castings.
Rich you are most likely looking for pricing to once again try an undercut valued suppliers I believe you have a short memory and do not recall the very heated conversation that you and I had several years ago when you told me point-blank you wanted to redraw my large Northern and sell The Prince and offered to give me a set so I can sell them as well and I told you absolutely not that I am in control of my drawings you further went to tell me you could draw anything you wanted and I cautioned you against doing this drawings or a large portion of our business I sell lots of drawing sets to people all over the world I have even had to sell drawing sets to folks who are trying to build my engines from your drawings and are having a terrible time at it so as a result of it I have gone ahead and we have copyrighted all of the Little Engines drawings
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

dilly dilly!!!!
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

NOW! there`s a horse of a different barn door. COPYWRITE or patent for a document or product. Protects the owner of such, from copies being sold or duplicated. Mike`s comment on CW would have saved six pages. :roll: :D :lol: :lol:
steamer
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Oh YES! and DILLY DILLY
steamer
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

read back....
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Hey Bill, I have not read one word from Mike before this latest post . I realize that you know everything about everything, but, take a break. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. :roll: :roll: Oh! DILLY DILLY !
steamer
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

giggle....go Eagles!
WJH

Post by WJH »

My thoughts... I like to build 3d models of engines from books, like the Kozo A3, and various others. People ask me to send them the files. I refuse to do so, simply because one can make 2d prints from the models, and build the engine without ever paying the original person for the said plans. The information is embedded in those 3d models.