Steam fittings-pipe and nipples

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Steam fittings-pipe and nipples

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Iam replumbing a few 1/2” nipples and lengths of steam pipe on my 12” ga Ottaway. The old nipples exiting the smokebox are bronze- which I have little hope of finding new, and they sheared off when I removed the valve, etc.

So, what are the current best materials for replacing fittings and steam pipe? I’ve heard black iron is not what it used to be... bronze no longer available, etc.

Also maybe stainless couplings are available from a commercial fishing supply I used to frequent. Are stainless nipples suitable?

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
DianneB

Re: Steam fittings-pipe and nipples

Post by DianneB »

What material and thickness is your boiler?

If it is steel, heavy duty (Schedule 80) steel nipples are what is used in full-size practice.

Black iron pipe is fine - just buy it from an industrial supplier rather than the local hardware store. Schedule 80 is used to the first stop valve and Schedule 40 can be used after that.

If your boiler is copper, I am sure you can still get bronze fittings in 1/2 inch but it may take some digging.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Diane

Boiler is 3/8’’ steel. I’ll scout around for an industrial supply house.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

You may be able to get them from suppliers like McMasters Carr. I have never had any issues with the quality of their pipe fittings. If you have any commercial plumbing suppliers locally they should have them as well.

If there is room for a hex nipple I personally prefer them over plain threaded nipples for both tightening and removal.

Rob
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Thanks Diane

Boiler is 3/8’’ steel. I’ll scout around for an industrial supply house.

Glenn
Schedule 80 pipe nipples in black iron are readily available from McMaster-Carr and are of good quality. Incidentally, McMaster also has brass nipples in schedule 80.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D