So that is why this does not fit......

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

Doug_Edwards

So that is why this does not fit......

Post by Doug_Edwards » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi all,

I have been tied up for the last few years, and finally have a break to work on my projects. I have wanted to finish up the patterns for the castings on the wood brake beam for the Climax I am working on.

I have struggled with the casting on the ends of the brake beam. I have ended up measuring it numerous times, tried layouts each time, and still the centerline of the cored hole would not line up with the casting that sits on the middle of the brake beam on the other side. I think have ended up spending more time trying to get a layout that works on this casting then any other part I have measured on any project. This casting has been in the queue for a number of years, since the part I was measuring was quite a distance away, and I had to wait to remeasure when I was in the area again, which in the best case, was a year later. Each time I was more careful in measuring the part, but still no joy.

I finally found the problem. In the first image with the assembled brake beam, if you sight down the parting line on the side of the lobe that has the cored hole for the tierod, you can see that the tierod is not collinear with the cored hole, but is off to an angle to the left to enable the tierod to wrap around the casting on the other side of the middle of the brake beam. No wonder things would not fit! I'm not sure the reason for this discrepancy. Was the pattern made incorrectly to begin with? Was it repurposed from another use? Was the brakebeam not as thick at one point? At least I know where the problem is, and it was not me! I'm working on finalizing my layout and getting ready to make the pattern for this part.

In the second image, you can see that on one side of the casting, part of the casting is broken off near the cored hole, where the pressure of the misaligned tierod would be bearing heavily. Figures. I had noted the broken area, but it didn't click that it might be a clue to my layout problem.

Working on this project has been very enjoyable in many different areas. Investigating the design has been fascinating, I enjoy the patternmaking, and I have ended up meeting and talking to people to better understand what I am looking at. But this has also given me clues to the personality of the manufacturing company that built the loco, which has greatly appealed to my interest of the history of Climax Manufacturing, and manufacturing during this time period. I have had the chance to discover some obscure details that I would not have noticed with a less intense study required to build the model. I have found this to be every bit as rewarding as building the model.

I thought this might be of interest to others who have scratched their heads over measuring parts.

Regards,

Doug
Attachments
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
http://www.precisionlocomotivecastings.com/
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"

"Aim to improve!"
"Mine is not to question why, mine is just to tool and die"

Dick_Morris

Re: So that is why this does not fit......

Post by Dick_Morris » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Could it have been meant for both narrow gauge and standard gauge. Would the castings have been spaced wider - and the angles been right - on a standard gauge truck?

Fender

Post by Fender » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:01 pm

A modeler's dilemma: Should you reproduce the original design error, or fix it? :?
Dan Watson

Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:19 am

Doug, are you aware of this?:
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 0cf4050dee

Kind of off topic but very interesting nonetheless!

NP317

Post by NP317 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 am

Dick_Morris wrote:Could it have been meant for both narrow gauge and standard gauge. Would the castings have been spaced wider - and the angles been right - on a standard gauge truck?
I suspect you might be correct, Dick.
If so, then the casting pictured is used on a narrow-gauge loco. The OP's answer will be interesting.

On a separate (off topic - sorry) CLIMAX Locomotive subject, when we (beginning of Mt. Rainier Scenic RR, Washington State) restored Hillcrest #10 Class C climax in 1982, I was the Engineer for the first year of operation. More vertical miles than horizontal that summer...
One hilarious consequence of that loco's brake beam design was to collect squashed coins (placed on the track by rail-fans) on the front horizontal brake beam. Perhaps the steel alloy of the replacement tires made for #10 (when still in service) made coins stick to the tires. Then they were rotated over the wheel tops and the brake shoes jarred them loose. The coins would fall onto the I-beam of the front brake hanger assembly and collect there. We'd laugh at those rail fans searching for their flattened coins at the depot tracks. We crew had plenty to give to deserving kids.

Now about those miss-aligned castings... I look forward to seeing more of the model Climax project here.
Sorry for the story hijack.
~RN

ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 am

...and as everybody knows RN..."change is inevitable, except from vending machines and sticky Climax loco tires!" :roll: Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!

Doug_Edwards

Post by Doug_Edwards » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Dick,

The castings would fit much better if they were on a standard gauge brake beam, but I have tended to think they were for 3' gauge, since they have a cast number in them of "36", which is also on another different casting on the brake beam. Normal Climax pattern numbers have a letter followed by a number.

Dan,

After some consideration, I went ahead and fixed it to the layout shown in the standard gauge beam in the following image.

Paul,

Thanks, I only recently had that thread pointed out to me, although I have corresponded with Bill in the past.

I have attached another image of a standard gauge brake beam where the tierod layout was as I would have expected it to be on the NG beam. Note that the brakelever fulcrum is on the inboard side of the beam on this beam, but outboard on the NG one. Also note where the U joint has rubbed the truck end tiebar above it.

D.
Attachments
Dad's 151.JPG
http://www.precisionlocomotivecastings.com/
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"

"Aim to improve!"
"Mine is not to question why, mine is just to tool and die"