So that is why this does not fit......

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Doug_Edwards

Re: So that is why this does not fit......

Post by Doug_Edwards »

Paralleler,

As Tristan mentioned, the induction is on the side, and the exhaust out the bottom of the cylinder. On the prototype, there is a 180 degree cored passage, the outside of which is visible when looking at the side of the loco when the cylinder jacket is off. The induction has a cored passage that enters the valve chest on the opposite side of the cylinder from the exhaust cored passage. Note that the valve chest is cast integral with the cylinder.

I'm guessing the drawing that you included is from the Reedy series in live Steam magazine. I don't have that, but am guessing after looking at the drawing, that the induction is on the side of the valve chest, other wise the drawing is incomplete.

Looks like your engine has a cast cylinder. I would doubt that the passages are cast in with no liner, as the passage cores are fragile in model sizes, and prone to failure in the casting process. My guess would be that either the passages are cored out with the cylinder bore, and the bore requires a liner, or just the bore was cored out and the passages cut out with a extended keyway cutter, before the liner was pressed in. By using an extended keyway cutter, the builder would not end up with a 360 degree groove as if it was turned in on a lathe.

If you don't already have it, find a copy of the "Climax Locomotive", by Dunn, Hauff, and Thompson. I think there are some photos in there where you can see the outline of the exhaust passages on the cylinders.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug
http://www.precisionlocomotivecastings.com/
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"

"Aim to improve!"
"Mine is not to question why, mine is just to tool and die"