Milling s part for PRR K-4 4-6-2-Heindenhain

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SP&S700

Milling s part for PRR K-4 4-6-2-Heindenhain

Post by SP&S700 »

I was finally able to run a program, which allowed me to do something other than break bits. Its not the latest model or the best but thought Mr Shields might like it :)
https://youtu.be/aElUO4C9Ixs
Moron

Re: Milling s part for PRR K-4 4-6-2-Heindenhain

Post by Moron »

Looks cool! Are you milking out the cylinder block I’m guessing? For fabricated cylinders?
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

I assume you meant milling out ??, at first I thought this was some new slang the kids use:} Yes I was milling the exhaust passage way for the steam chest cylinder valve. The rest of the pieces I received already machined. The original creator did a great job on the rest of the steam chest you saw briefly in the video. This is a bolt together assembly. Unfortunately one of the Allen cap screws is right in the way of the exhaust At first I was going to use a very nice casting I have, fully ported, but it is designed after UP challenger/ 844 cylinders. These engines have smaller cylinders than lets say a PRR K4. In the future Id like to build models with large cylinders. This bolt together idea I think could work for that. So the proof will be in the pudding to see if the bolt together Idea will not leak.
Thanks for the response
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

very cool......
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Thanks Bill !

You do me a great honor. 4 years ago I bought one of 3 Shizuoka machines being offered on ebay the others had Bandit Controllers. Because of your praise of Heindenhain and also talking to the guys at Heindenhain, I found out that the TNC310 was still one of the older controllers being supported. So I bought the TNC310 Shizuoka.

It has taken 3 years to get it running and it was suppose to be a running machine, but was DOA. I stuck with it. New Screen for the TNC. I founld problems with the PLC programing and control board corrosion, sent it to the Heindenhain guys ($1500} I then had to align the servos. Installed a variable-frequency drive. Then I leared that old motors do not have proper insulation for variable-frequency drives. It was rewound. Then getting the Machine Parameters set up to run on this machine. Next learned TNC Conversational .So at long last.... it was fun to run at least a simply program and not break bits due to my mistakes.
I do like the Heindenhain so thank you.

Clint
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the HH Controls are odd, but they do work. HHCONV goes better with Deutsches Bier

They are arguably the best 5 axis surfacing controls on the market.

VFD drives are really hard on motors at the low speed, high torque ranges...is why I recommend people keep their step pulleys..giggle.

I would show you some of the stuff I do, but....most of it is proprietary except the 'stuff for trade show' that is all fluff anyway.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Thanks Bill
I'm sure your stuff is way over my head, its hard enough with the 3 axes, I'd like to hook up the 4th ax at some point. No matter how you spell the beer in German or American I can barely write a good program as it is without the beir!
Clint