Need some speed tips for getting a project done faster.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: Need some speed tips for getting a project done faster.

Post by Greg_Lewis »

As Dick Morris wrote above, it also depends on what you like to do. Some folks like to build. Others like to run. Personally I like to build. I don't care if I ever finish because the building is so much fun. One of the most fun things for me is to go to the museum with a camera, tape and notebook, measure the original, and then try to figure out how to make that stuff in 1/8 size.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Unplug the dang TV!
Then do SOMETHING every day . . even if it's just a thinking, reading, note-taking, or planning session.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I can only offer a suggestion on how to slow down the process. Make tools, fixtures and jigs. First: there is the satisfaction of "I made this special cutter myself". Second: it slowly equip the shop with more capability. Third: is a welcome distraction, for me at least. and Fourth: It beats doing something with a bad tool/setup and that is where the time saving come in.
Has been 11 years since I bought my lathe and started this hobby, time fly when you are having fun, my speed has increased considerably from the first years. A factor of 2 was gained by reducing dumb scrapping mistakes, like mirror image errors and cutting too much. Above all planning the sequence of operation to avoid a nearly impossible part holding situation.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

shild wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:09 pm
cbrew wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 pm
shild wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm Thanks for the replies everyone! Didn't think I'd get so many this fast. So it typically takes 1500-2000 hours to make one? Is the boiler about half of it?
i have a bit over 1000 hours logged on my second loco chassis. i would double that if i was learning as i went.
its normally a good idea to buy the boiler unless your welding skills are to that level.
Buy it from where?
Marty Knox that posted a reply following your question is about the best boiler builder in the hobby these days.
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

shild wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm Thanks for the replies everyone! Didn't think I'd get so many this fast. So it typically takes 1500-2000 hours to make one? Is the boiler about half of it?
i have a bit over 1000 hours logged on my second loco chassis. i would double that if i was learning as i went.
its normally a good idea to buy the boiler unless your welding skills are to that level.
Buy it from where?
Marty Knox (already posted) {east coast}
Ed Perry ( i believe runs an ad in Live steam) {west coast}
there are two more but their names are escaping me
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

cbrew wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:54 am

Buy it from where?
Chris, I'm a long way from the East Coast, 600 + miles. I know, I drive to PA and NJ a couple times a year.
Michigan, while it is the western edge of the Eastern Time Zone, is usually desribed as Upper Midwest.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Fred_V wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am Marty Knox that posted a reply following your question is about the best boiler builder in the hobby these days.
Fred V
Thank you, Fred -see you at Ridge?
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Marty_Knox wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 am
cbrew wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:54 am

Buy it from where?
Chris, I'm a long way from the East Coast, 600 + miles. I know, I drive to PA and NJ a couple times a year.
Michigan, while it is the western edge of the Eastern Time Zone, is usually desribed as Upper Midwest.
ok east coast "region" :) :D
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Marty_Knox wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 am
Fred_V wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am Marty Knox that posted a reply following your question is about the best boiler builder in the hobby these days.
Fred V
Thank you, Fred -see you at Ridge?
I won't make it to the winter meets. Haven't for the last 3. I've sold the motorhome and the wife is back working part time. i'd love for you to see the Hunslet.
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Where it makes sense, make use of things like carriage stops with multiple settings, 4-position turret toolholders and even a turret tailstock.

The time spent planning and documenting the dimensions and the steps to get to those dimensions is more than paid off.

It makes sense when you are making more than one of an item, like wheels. You can spot drill, drill and ream the bore without changing tools - just rotate the turret.

The 4-position turret toolholder can be faster than an aloris-type, when you are using the tools in a specific order. You don't ever have to pick something up and put it down - you just turn the lock, rotate and turn the lock.

When I did a set of three axles (six ends), I set the carriage stop with three positions:
1: where the end of the part has to be when I start - position the carriage, pull the part out until it hits the tool, tighten the chuck.
2: the distance to the shoulder for the outer bearing
3: the distance to the shoulder for the wheel

Steve
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

A couple magnetic base dial indicators can go a long ways on the lathe too. I've put them on the carriage and cross-feed, then made myself a little cut map for more complicated parts with multiple steps/flanges.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

rkcarguy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 pm A couple magnetic base dial indicators can go a long ways on the lathe too. I've put them on the carriage and cross-feed, then made myself a little cut map for more complicated parts with multiple steps/flanges.
I've been wary of anything magnetic, because it can move if you bump it. The clamp on ones are more secure, but more of a hassle to use.

I want to redesign my indicator clamp to have a quick-release handle on it.

Steve