Got an opportunity for materials right now. What to take?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

Got an opportunity for materials right now. What to take?

Post by shild »

My landlord is loading a trailer of things he's getting rid of right now. Includes 1/2" and 3/4" plywood. I need that for a riding car don't I? A few pieces of 1/2" pipe. Some very large tiles, that might be marble, some window pains, a couple of very large microwaves, anything in those worth saving? If the microwaves were smaller I might think to gut one out, tip it over and use as a shell for a highline tender. Oh yeah, there is a sink with what I guess are bronze fittings underneath, should I try to take those off?
shild

Re: Got an opportunity for materials right now. What to take?

Post by shild »

Oh, forgot to mention, was thinking of using the window pains or tiles (if they're flat enough) to wrap sandpaper around to sand something very flat. Not as material for the locomotive.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Sounds like JUNK to me.........but one mans junk is another mans treasure!

John B.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Sounds similar to the stuff I just cleared out of my shop after hanging onto it for 10 to 20 years. Take it all, keep it for 20 years, and then throw it away.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
shild

Post by shild »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:34 pm Sounds similar to the stuff I just cleared out of my shop after hanging onto it for 10 to 20 years. Take it all, keep it for 20 years, and then throw it away.
Hmmmmm, yeah I guess I don't want to get too carried away. But certainly don't want to go to the Home Depot and shell out good money for what could be free either. Maybe twice as much plywood for what you plan to build is the right balance, so you have the chance to screw up and start?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

The basic law of materials is that any piece you already have will be 1/2-inch too short for what you need.

Seriously, I guess it just depends on what the stuff is, what you know you will need, and how much storage space you have. I quit the "just in case" ideology because the storage space was getting so cluttered I forgot what I had and the mess was starting to interfere with the work. Here's my recent adventure: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 8&t=106082
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
shild

Post by shild »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 pm The basic law of materials is that any piece you already have will be 1/2-inch too short for what you need.

Seriously, I guess it just depends on what the stuff is, what you know you will need, and how much storage space you have. I quit the "just in case" ideology because the storage space was getting so cluttered I forgot what I had and the mess was starting to interfere with the work. Here's my recent adventure: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 8&t=106082
Very interesting real world problems! I'm in the middle of reading it now. Is round stock where you have the biggest problem with having pieces a 1/2-inch too short?
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Sounds like mostly junk, except the plywood. Plywood is getting dang expensive, a full sheet of nice 3/4 AC plywood is dang near $50 in my area now.
shild

Post by shild »

rkcarguy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:01 am Sounds like mostly junk, except the plywood. Plywood is getting dang expensive, a full sheet of nice 3/4 AC plywood is dang near $50 in my area now.
Yes I took the plywood! I'm embarrassed to admit that before this, I didn't have a good place for my benchtop grinder. Kept it on top of 2 large snaplid storage containers. It would vibrate around as it ran. Now at least I've got a piece of plywood I can bolt it to.