Allen steam fittings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

makinsmoke

Re: Allen steam fittings

Post by makinsmoke »

Yes,
That is exactly how Gene's drawings show
construction. The idea with the flared fittings is you "might" get them installed and removed without taking the cylinders apart.

I'd sure like a better method.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

put on flat flange fittings....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

with either flare or ferrule fittings, you will have to break one cylinder off to get it loose. If you use the flat fittings like Bill suggested, you should be able to get them off without too much fuss.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

makinsmoke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:35 pm Yes,
That is exactly how Gene's drawings show
construction. The idea with the flared fittings is you "might" get them installed and removed without taking the cylinders apart.

I'd sure like a better method.
Brian, what's the big deal? Once you have it together you don't need to take them apart for a long time.
I am rebuilding a Mogul I built in 1988 that I have apart, but I am reusing the original exhaust pipe and may reuse the original compression fittings.
I usually silver solder the tubes into the casting leaving them a little long. I then bolt the cylinder on one side, center the casting, then trim the other side to get the cylinder on.
My suggestion though is once you get it located, to add a bracket to keep the casting from moving.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

On my Chloe the copper steam tubes eroded through twice so I replaced them with 1/8" brass pipe 15 years ago; no problem. On other engines I have covered the copper tubing with a sheet metal shield which seems to work well.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Sent you a pm about photos Bill.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

This is what I did for the exhaust attachment on my ten wheeler. I machined the cone off the face of a NPT to flare adaptor to make it a but fitting, I also machined the hex on the flare nut to be slightly smaller for wrench clearance. This set up slows you to center the blast nozzle as well.
Attachments
Exhaust fittings
Exhaust fittings
lrdg2150

Post by lrdg2150 »

I silver soldered a flat flanged fitting to the center casting and used a compression fitting on the cylinder end. assembled in place tightening the compression fittings last.
Attachments
IMG_20130908_223109_208.jpg
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

One idea I cooked up but have yet to try is to toss the Allen Nozzle and make a nozzle with 45 degree connections (or appropriate angle) to receive compressesion fittings between it and cylinder. The motivation is to make the blast nozzle penetration and steam lines in to single holes instead of the 2 x 3" saddle /smokebox opening.

JP
Attachments
blast nozzle mod.png
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I'm actually doing something very similar to this on a locomotive now. The bottom part of the nozzle will be welded into the saddle, which is fabricated. The 45 angle will be tapped for 1/4 pipe and hopefully I can assemble the whole thing without removing a cylinder from the frame.
little giant

Post by little giant »

This is what I did, but I run with propane.
Attachments
15190565631871332453955.jpg
John_S

Post by John_S »

I was originally following the Allen design, but ditched the casting because I didn't like the hard 90deg turn the exhaust had to make.
mogul44.jpg
I don't have a photo of the final design I went with, but I took two 3/8 copper tubes and made an inverted "Y" with smooth radii up into a custom exhaust stand. It was three pieces, the two legs of the Y and the middle long section that slip up into the heavy brass stand with an o-ring to seal it.
mogul103.jpg
The top of the stand can be removed by pulling out two screws. I did this so I could experiment with various nozzle sizes/configurations.

The silver soldered "Y" arrangement has two 3/8 flare fittings that attach it to the cylinders which worked out great.