Wendy vs Ten Wheelers Drive-train

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Re: Wendy vs Ten Wheelers Drive-train

Post by Harlock »

Hi all. Late to the conversation. My MEG uses Allen cylinders. At the time, Dougal was having troubles with porosity in his castings (mine is Wendy #3) so the original builder went with the Allen cylinders. The bore is 2" and the stroke is 3.5", which is stock to the Wendy as mentioned above. There appears to have been sufficient meat to accommodate that stroke. Visually speaking the cylinders are a lot smaller than the original MEG cylinders, but I've had absolutely zero trouble with them.

For drivers, mine currently has the stock machined box poc drivers, but in doing the same search for cast, spoked drivers to replace them with eventually, I came upon Roger Goldmann's 7.25" diameter drivers for his 0-6-0 switcher. (pictured) I ordered four with the medium sized counterweight, and around a year later I received them. Roger makes a quality product if you're patient. The un-machined tread dia is 7.5", machines out to 7.25 and could be made a little less. I am awaiting delivery of a new lathe, and I will be machining the new drivers at that point. It will be a big visual improvement...

If you want to use the Mogul drivers, they will work, but you will lose a small amount of tractive effort to the larger diameter. If you don't plan on a lot of major hill climbing there won't be a problem and you'll have a little faster top end.

If you want the stock cylinders, I may know someone who can get you a pair...

-Mike
Attachments
20180303_200230.jpg
18-02-19_Bitter-Creek-9309.jpg
15-06-24_Train_Mountain_Triennial-9650.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I read the 2008 live steam article where one of the four fellows who built Wendys used Allens cylinders and ended up making two crosshead slides I'm guessing one for the piston and one for the valves. Mike, did you have to do that also, or were you able to make a offset valve function?
There are three of us at Maricopa that are prepping to build Wendys. If you remember 'Chloe Christian' he is going to PM you regarding the cylinders you may have located. I have one so I will just purchase #2 directly from Steve. Also, awhile back you mentioned that you may have your old saddle tanks for sale.... Still got em?
Thx for the thought on the driver dia. I think I prefer to have the lower end power than higher speed. Griner suggested getting steel coupons and having them cut to whatever design we want... we then can cut the tread profile on our own.
We need to plan to bring our cameras and questions, and visit you and Sabin over at Bittercreek someday soon.
Maggi.... we are following your build closely, and spend hours discussing pros and cons. Enjoying your thread.
Ths Scotty
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I don't remember the specifics from that article, but looking at a photo of one of those engines (when Jeff Badger briefly owned it) it appears to be the same configuration as stock, same as mine...one crosshead guide for the cylinder, and the valve rod is the same push-rod coming directly from the combination lever with a free-floating hinge near the cylinder. I have had no problems with mine.

The side tanks from my Wendy are long gone. They were heavy steel rectangle tube. Nobody wanted them so they went to the scrap heap if I remember correctly.

Next outing at Bitter Creek will likely be the July 4th meet, and then the Narrow Gauge Meet possibly, in August.

It's amazing the longevity the MEG Wendy has had out of production. I regularly get asked about the plans and castings since mine is one of the more photographed ones out there. I've often thought of designing a 'MEG 2.0' from clean paper that arrives at a similarly configured engine but with a lot of improvements and lessons learned.

-M
Attachments
08-08-08_BCWRR-NG08-7690_resize.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Harlock wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:18 pm
It's amazing the longevity the MEG Wendy has had out of production. I regularly get asked about the plans and castings since mine is one of the more photographed ones out there. I've often thought of designing a 'MEG 2.0' from clean paper that arrives at a similarly configured engine but with a lot of improvements and lessons learned.

-M
That would be Great, and with it's track record, highly marketable!
Just remember, part of it's beauty is simplicity, it's minimal machining, and use of off the shelf parts. Makes it a quick build for beginners to get steam on the tracks.
If you do this, you should broadcast a request from previous builders, a request about their "lessons learned".

Anyways, Chloe Christian (you've helped him before) will PM you regarding the Allens Cylinders... if that is OK. At 16, he may be one of the youngest builders out there.
Scotty