Oil Firing 3/4" Scale

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rwmorris

Oil Firing 3/4" Scale

Post by rwmorris »

Has anyone successfully fired a 3/4" scale locomotive on oil? I know of the alcohol burners of the Vic Shattock GGLS era for sure but I'm wondering if folks have had luck with a typical atomizing style of burner in these little fire boxes? I'm wondering if a mild pressurization of the fuel tank might help to maintain the supply of fuel? And also wondering if Kerosene and or White Gas may be better than typical #2 Diesel?

~RM
SteveM

Re: Oil Firing 3/4" Scale

Post by SteveM »

rwmorris wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:49 am Has anyone successfully fired a 3/4" scale locomotive on oil? I know of the alcohol burners of the Vic Shattock GGLS era for sure but I'm wondering if folks have had luck with a typical atomizing style of burner in these little fire boxes? I'm wondering if a mild pressurization of the fuel tank might help to maintain the supply of fuel? And also wondering if Kerosene and or White Gas may be better than typical #2 Diesel?

~RM
I picked up an engine that I was told was run on white gas. Not sure how they did it because there was no burner included with it. I suspect that it may just have been a coleman stove burner.

I was told not to do it because someone who had got badly burned. We normally think of Coleman fuel as pretty safe stuff.

I think an easy way to do it would be to take a Coleman 533 or similar stove (the 533 is dual fuel, but there are other models that are white gas only, like the 502 and 508) ,separate the burner from the tank and make a connecting pipe / hose.

The tank from the stove would be your fuel tank and it as the pump, you would have everything you need.

Someone on the web shows how he did that for powering a stationary model.

Steve
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Bob, you may want to chat with Anthony with
https://www.eccentricengineer.com/atomi ... -fireboxes
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Why is it that you find threads on your topic only after you have started a new one??? Lol!

http://chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtop ... =8&t=94213
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

cbrew wrote:Bob, you may want to chat with Anthony with
https://www.eccentricengineer.com/atomi ... -fireboxes
Oh for sure! I have 2 of Anthony’s burners in my stash and was planning to try one. These are neat but I wonder if they are still a little too big for the firebox in question. I know coal will work fine but I’d like to see where this leads.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Joe Monty wrote a 3 part article for LSM on 'Burning Oil in a Small Firebox', sometimes in the mid to late '80's. He used to burn oil in his C.P.Huntington, whose firebox isn't much bigger than many 3/4" scale fireboxes. It was a big help to me when I was building an oil burning Consolidation.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It is really tough to get an oil flame to burn completely in under a 6" long flame, especially when cold and under a varying load / draught.

This is even more difficult when the flame is CONICAL and needs as much HEIGHT as width.

The Bagley burner concept has the best chance because you can control the shape of the flame as well as the length.

I fought with it on my 3/4" Hudson years ago and finally gave up and went propane. (firebox is 6" square give or take)...was more trouble than it was worth from what I decided.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rwmorris

Re: Oil Firing 3/4

Post by rwmorris »

I’ve got a good selection of burners and after studying that article Marty mentioned, I’m certain that I have a version of the burner for a small firebox. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201802 ... dea4b0.jpg
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

I don’t think firing with oil would work for me...it keeps falling off the shovel.

Keith Taylor
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello RM,
Done already some 40 years ago and still working! You're right, petroleum will burn a bit better than diesel fuel does. Standard light oil for use with heatings for homes will do, too.
Published back in 1/1991 in "dampfmodel" you'll find a drawing. First built into my Modell of DB class 44 fuel, 5 " gauge this worked out fine. No dripping, smokeless and adjustable from 15 % to full.
I offered the complete information to the forum some time ago. But there was little response yet.
Thus please see some fotos here.
Good luck!
Asteamhead
Attachments
Oil burner 7.5 at full output,red.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Olburner
Attachments
44 Führerstand Afbeelding_077.jpg
Ölbrenner Draufsicht v. vorn 141R 5 Zoll.JPG