EARLY 4-6-6-4 CHALLENGER. FRAME

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Builder01

Re: EARLY 4-6-6-4 CHALLENGER. FRAME

Post by Builder01 »

In fact, it's very nice to when the model is as close as possible to the prototype.
Why is this important?

David
WJH

Post by WJH »

Problem with our steam engines, not everything scales down nicely because of physics. What makes sense on the prototype often has no legitimacy on a small model. Of course, if one was to design their own locomotive, to demonstrate modern techniques, and engineered to the nTH degree, utilizing wheel arrangements for maximum efficiency, it would probably be a 2-4-0 with electronic poppet valves and a flash boiler with lead weight placed in every open space as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

Builder01 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 pm Why is this important?
It's because we are are building scale models locomotives.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

If you are building a miniature locomotive that will function with live steam, there are many places where you cannot scale from the prototype. One quick look at the boiler and this will be obvious.

I understand you are attempting to build a scale locomotive, but, you have not really explained why it is important to make everything exactly scale.

Making everything scale or not, will certainly not change the experience of operating a miniature live steam locomotive. A true scale model of a locomotive, will not even be functional. There must be compromises made and it is okay.

David
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

building a cast loco bed on a 7.5 gauge super power locomotive would be massively challenging.
EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

All right! Simply, the model should be as close as possible to the prototype, that's all. Simply, the model should be as close as possible to the prototype, that's all. Truth in our case it is more a miniature locomotive, with features of some prototype.

So, do we have disk owners with drawings of the early Challenger version?
WJH

Post by WJH »

So this isn’t for live steam then? Simply a museum quality model? Still just as interesting in my book, please be sure to post pictures of this project

EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

No, why would you say that? Of course, it will be live steam! Just need to find out what type of frame was installed on early locomotives.
WJH

Post by WJH »

EVGEN wrote:No, why would you say that? Of course, it will be live steam! Just need to find out what type of frame was installed on early locomotives.
You just sounded like you were going to be uncompromising to the point you’ll wind up with a horrible live steam locomotive that looks really nice.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

There are various mindsets when it comes to models. Personally, I understand the want (or need) to model in perfect miniature. Speaking as a person who machined for a living, it is a display of one's ability to do precise machining, and can be without other challenges for those with experience. Personally, I'd have it no other way, making changes ONLY when perfect scaling would yield a non-operational model. Boiler construction comes to mind.

Readers should keep in mind that processes that might be exceedingly challenging for those without experience may be routine for the guy who works in a given trade/profession. For that reason, you often see examples that might be considered overdone--museum quality, in fact. What would you have the builder do? Compromise his ability? There's no reason why he shouldn't work to his capabilities.

No one should be threatened by rivet counters. They, too, have a place in this hobby. If one's interest is in having a free lance engine, one that satisfies one's need or desire to get out on the track, that engine should receive the same respect as the one which is a perfect scale model of a known prototype. In both cases, a burning desire has likely been addressed, bringing pleasure and happiness to the individuals concerned. There is no right or wrong.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

keep 'em simple & keep 'em running.

don't bite off more than you can chew, even if you do intend to eat the elephant one bite at a time.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

When I was a young lad, probably nine or ten the neighbor gave me a box of old model railroaders. One of them, July 1951 had this in the trackside photos section. To my young eyes this cat building the Challenger was about the coolest guy to walk the earth. Those shiny drive wheels were burned into my brain like a photograph, and I never forgot it. And as you can see I still have the magazine, although well worn and missing the cover. The gentleman's name was W H Brooks of 919 E 18th Street, Winston-Salem North Carolina. Times have changed a bit haven't they. Imagine printing your name and address in a magazine today. They went on to say that the model is "live steam" and will weigh about 450 pounds exclusive of tender, and will be fired by stoker. This is back in 1951, no digital read outs, no CNC. No laser cutting….I wonder if he ever finished the engine, and if so where is it today. As a lad of nine or ten I was filled with wonderment and lust looking at that chassis, hoping to someday perhaps have some cool HO or O gauge models. Somebody up there must like me because now I get to do things like the cat in the picture, beyond my wildest dreams! Like I said somebody up there likes me.
See you in the funny pages…
Jack
Attachments
Challenger.jpg