Push/pull control cables?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

DianneB

Push/pull control cables?

Post by DianneB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 am

Has anybody used small push/pull cables on a locomotive? Where did you get it and how to determine the size?

I want to fit manual cylinder drains on my 1-1/2" American but the route from the cab to the pilot is convoluted so it would be easier to activate the drains with a flexible cable than a whole series of rods and levers.

BClemens

Re: Push/pull control cables?

Post by BClemens » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:13 am

The best would be a marine or aircraft use push/pull 'Bowden Cable' sold by most any of the larger marine supply houses. Or; try Aircraft Spruce.

BC

Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 am

"Has anybody used small push/pull cables on a locomotive?"

Back in '75, I incorporated an automotive choke cable on my grandfather's Lima Switcher built in 1955 to accommodate running
the engine with its cab forward for aesthetic railroading purposes but it was later removed for reasons now forgotten.

BC's suggestion of marine or aircraft "Bowden Cable" would seem to be a very good option.

John

Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:04 pm

I used a choke cable from the local auto store on my cylinder cocks for my Mogul. This works great for me.

Wayne

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:16 pm

Control cables used to be used all over on mining equipment years ago. Transmission controls, park brake actuators, throttle, engine kill......
Best ones I was around, were made by Cablecraft. We used to buy them from Instrument Sales & Service in Portland OR, but there are many other dealers around the country....world for that matter. They build to suit.
Not cheap, but they hold up better than any I know, and they have a lot of styles & flavors to choose from. Might be worth a look.

https://www.cablecraft.com/

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.

Fred_V

Post by Fred_V » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:42 am

you can also use 1/8" copper tubing and run a 1/16" or smaller wire through it. looks better.
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:19 am

Bicycle shops sell the Bowden cables for actuating their brakes.

Keith

John Evans

Post by John Evans » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Flexible ie "Bowden" cables as used on bikes etc need a spring for pull off. Rigid solid single wire work in push pull apps. Morse was a maker of high quality push pull cables ,pricey though.
www.chaski.com

Harlock

Post by Harlock » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:52 pm

We used bicycle cable on the Chloe for its cylinder cocks, worked very well. The cable was pretty well hidden between the frames for the most part.
San Lorezo Flume & Lumber Co. #2 - "Felton"
Live Steam Photography and more - www.mikemassee.com
Contributing Editor, Live Steam Magazine
Webmaster, Allen Models of Nevada

trivettj

Post by trivettj » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:30 am

I have large rolls of push pull cable I have the inner wire and the outer sleeving the inside of the sleeve has a Teflon type coating to stop the steel coil from wearing it out we own a small engine business so we use it for alot of different applications but if you need some just pm me and let me know it's not very expensive.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:48 am

Harlock wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:52 pm
We used bicycle cable on the Chloe for its cylinder cocks, worked very well. The cable was pretty well hidden between the frames for the most part.
Bicycle cables are meant to pull and not to push. They may work OK pushing against something that does not have a lot of resistance, but you may want to use a return spring on the actuating lever of what you are moving.

Steve

trivettj

Post by trivettj » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 pm

I forgot to mention that the wire I have to go in the liner is a solid wire made to push it is not braided or twisted like bicycle cable.