Wheels to axles — which Loctite?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

Re: Wheels to axles — which Loctite?

Post by Trainman4602 »

That is an insult to master machinist everywhere Sorry
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

The clash of the Hobbyist verses actual Industry practices.

Opinion and Facts cloud each other… and eventually… those looking on don’t really know what to think.

An axle on a toy train can have any tolerance until its death.

In industry, it’s not a chance thing. Mechanical fits have to be correct.

If the wheel falls off and it’s attributed to a bad fit, and “glue”… well… you’re gonna have to answer to your decision.

In a hobby environment, it doesn’t matter.

Do it your own way.

John D. Atkinson
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> In industry, it’s not a chance thing. Mechanical fits have to be correct.

And in industry adhesives are widely and routinely used.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hi folks. Say…. my original post was a question about which Loctite would be the best choice for wheels to axles. I’d like to thank all those who made helpful suggestions.

My original post was not about whether Loctite is or is not good or useful, or whether someone is or is not a machinist. Those topics have been debated on this forum before. As the originator of this thread, I ask that you please keep on topic. If you want to debate Loctite, machining skills, or other topics, please re-start one of those threads or start a new one.

If anyone wants to know about my experience with precision mechanical devices, shoot me a p.m. and I’ll fill you in.

If you have used Loctite to secure riding car wheels to axles, I’m interested in knowing what you used. Otherwise, please don’t hijack the thread. Thanks. :D
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Greg,

I've used 609 for wheels. I also used it on my interference fit on my Coles 0-4-0, just for giggles. The cars they are on are still on the axles and run fine.

On another note, John Bailie taught me to get to within .001 and then use a mill file to get to a .0005 interference, and that works great. (He also taught me about the 609.)
Matt Mason
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The first Russian Ural sidecar motorcycles imported into the USA in the late 1990s (I had a 1998) appeared to have used salt water as a bolt setter. They had no access to Loctites.
A subsequent visit as a consultant to that Factory in western Siberia bore out our first impression! I sent them a case of Loctite as a gift.
It was appreciated.
~RN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, Matt. I hope to have this car done for the Sac meet.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Fender

Post by Fender »

I have used 609 successfully for wheels on axles. The only thing I have to add, is that is desirable to have a shoulder on the axle, so that the wheels are in gauge when each wheel is resting against the shoulder. That way you’re not trying to set the gauge while it’s setting up. Also, it’s peferable to have the axle oriented vertically when putting them together. The axle and bore are then coated with adhesive and the wheel is spun onto the axle with the wheel resting against the shoulder. This will distribute the adhesive and allow the wheel to self-center between its bore and the axle. If the axle is horizontal when it is inserted into the bore, there is a possibility that it will not be centered in the bore, depending on the size of the gap and the type of adhesive used.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

BOY this Loctite post gets more hits the the steam posts get. If you want to glue your model together then buy a plastic model kit and go to town with the glue.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, Fender. Good reminder on the vertical setup. These axles have shoulders.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

The chart on the first page of this thread (which I ironically came across by searching Google before I found the current thread) might be of use:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=78921
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

RC35 wheels, counter shaft and crank shaft on a Clishay back in the late 70's. 609 lately (one of the listed replacements for RC35).